• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 to 5 speed

ckale1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a np231 out of an 01 XJ and I'm looking to replace the 231 in a 96 XJ. 01 is an auto and the 96 is a 5 spped. Should I have any problems with this? Are the spline counts the same for these years? Thanks in advance.

I believe the spline counts after '91 is 23 spline, so you should not have a problem.

I have a np231 out of an 01 XJ and I'm looking to replace the 231 in a 96 XJ. 01 is an auto and the 96 is a 5 spped. Should I have any problems with this? Are the spline counts the same for these years? Thanks in advance.

Worst case would be that the input gear is either too long or too short (manual inputs were consistent, but there were two or three lengths for the automatic inputs,) and both 'cases on the same side of the split for the input gear helix angle, so it's a simple swap. May as well change the input bearing and seal while you're about it.

Of course, if the input "stick-out" is the same length on both 'cases, don't even worry about it - just throw the replacement in and you're good.

Either way, change the output seal on the transmission, since you're there anyhow. And, I'd change the input & rear output seal on the transfer case, since you have the opportunity (the front output seal is difficult, but you can change that one once you've got the 'case in. The yoke nut is torqued to something like 200 pound-feet...)

Worst case would be that the input gear is either too long or too short (manual inputs were consistent, but there were two or three lengths for the automatic inputs,) and both 'cases on the same side of the split for the input gear helix angle, so it's a simple swap. May as well change the input bearing and seal while you're about it.

Of course, if the input "stick-out" is the same length on both 'cases, don't even worry about it - just throw the replacement in and you're good.

Either way, change the output seal on the transmission, since you're there anyhow. And, I'd change the input & rear output seal on the transfer case, since you have the opportunity (the front output seal is difficult, but you can change that one once you've got the 'case in. The yoke nut is torqued to something like 200 pound-feet...)

I'm looking at almost the same thing here soon. I'm swapping an AX-15 from a '94 to my '99 and I would like to reuse my t-case as I already have the SYE installed and the case is in near perfect condition, not to mention retaining the electronic speed sensor. So after '91 they were all 23 spline even between the auto and manual? And the only thing I may need to swap is the input gear?

Back