• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Gremlin

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
Just aquried an 89 last weekend, last night I got home and turned it off went to turn the head lights off and they wouldn't turn off. Started the jeep and the lights went off. Turned them back on, turned off the jeep, again lights stayed on until I restarted the jeep. Would this be a short somewhere or is the switch going bad?

Just aquried an 89 last weekend, last night I got home and turned it off went to turn the head lights off and they wouldn't turn off. Started the jeep and the lights went off. Turned them back on, turned off the jeep, again lights stayed on until I restarted the jeep. Would this be a short somewhere or is the switch going bad?

it has a delay it takes like 1 min and it will turn it self off all xj's have it......go out to your jeep and start it turn on the lights turn off the jeep then turn the lights off hang out for about a min and the lights should turn off

Most of the non-base model XJ's had the head light delay. If you turned them off after the ign was off then they would stay on for a short time.

Well that was what it was. My 91 didn't do it though and it was a sport this is a pioneer model I guess.

LOL I always wrote that off as an oddity of XJs. I didn't know it would turn off after a bit, I guess I don't need to turn the ignition back on next time I forget to turn the headlights off.

My 89 Pioneer has the same feature. The first time I did that I sat there and watched it because I didn't think a Pioneer model 89 XJ would have that feature. They turned off so now I know.

It's called a sentinel light. It's intended for the purpose of pulling into your driveway, shutting off the car, shutting off the lights. The lights remain on to light your way to your door and entrance to your home/garage. Then they shut off on their own. Standard equipment on most cherokees. It's possible the module on the old heep was either removed so as to lighten for speed....or it just went bad. =)

Mine is working properly I tested it last night. I'll keep it for when the wife drives it.

Back