• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do you manually disengage transfer case....

this is the info I have from him...."I have a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Chief that has been stuck in 4wd since the winter time. The lever will shift into 2w but the transmission will not disengage from 4w. I am desperate as I have 2 kids and this is my only means of transportation. It makes a funny noise when making sharp turns, like rubbery sneakers on a wet floor. I have tried driving backwards to get it out but nothing is working. Please help. I am willing to give my number if you are willing to call and give step by step instructions. Thanks a bunch."

He's tried the reverse and neutral pretty much I think his linkage rod is shot. So he'll have to disengage from the bottom.

this is the info I have from him...."I have a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Chief that has been stuck in 4wd since the winter time. The lever will shift into 2w but the transmission will not disengage from 4w. I am desperate as I have 2 kids and this is my only means of transportation. It makes a funny noise when making sharp turns, like rubbery sneakers on a wet floor. I have tried driving backwards to get it out but nothing is working. Please help. I am willing to give my number if you are willing to call and give step by step instructions. Thanks a bunch."

pull the front drive shaft if it is an emergency i believe it is 8mm bolts on both ends.

5/16" actually. and if he goes under the jeep, and finds the shifter on the t-case, he can just shift it from there... here's a good writeup that's got pictures to explain how the linkage works and how he can fix it.

http://www.bsfab.net/?p=26

HTH :)

to manually shift the transfercase, get underneath and follow the transfercase linkage to the rod that comes out the side of the transfercase and rotate it(may need to loosen the linkage adjustment screw to allow the rod to rotate further). the linkage may be worn or misadjusted and not turning the rod far enough to disengage the transfercase from 4wd.

does he have the 231 or 242 case?

I recently had this same problem. Check the set screw (bolt) that is on the rod coming from the shift lever at the pivot point. My shift lever was just moving the rod back and forth in that sleeve and not actually moving the shift assembly from the pivot point back to the transfercase. Check and adjust as needed. Hope that helps.

nooo ;)

5/16" = 7.9375 mm

:)

:rolleyes: touche. lol

Back