• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Manifold Nut size

Brendan_91XJ

NAXJA Member #1163
Does any one know the size and thread pitch of the exhaust manifold nut.
There is one up front and another in the rear. Just found one missing.
'91 4.0

Does any one know the size and thread pitch of the exhaust manifold nut.
There is one up front and another in the rear. Just found one missing.
'91 4.0

Somewhere here I posted the Jeep part number, the nut has a spring washer that comes as a pair, expensive buggers too. After I bought 4 I took them to several very good hardware and fastener stores around here, none had ever seen one before.

That monster washer is a spring washer? I was just going to throw a regular washer on there until I get the proper stuff.

When I did my '99, I used a 9/16 wrench to get it off, so it should be a 3/8" nut. Its also course thread so its probably 3/8-16. I don't think they changed the bolt sizes across these years, but you never know.

Are you sure it is standard, I was thinking it was metric?

I just went outside, and a 9/16 wrench fit on it pretty darn well. I don't have anything to measure it to, but judging by the wrench size, I want to say its a 3/8" bolt/nut.

Thanks!

3/8"-24. The bowl-shaped washer isn't a "spring" washer per se - it's too thick. It is, however, a load-spreading washer to help with clamping forces, so you do want to keep it.
I thought the same thing, it does both I think.
Next time you put one on and torque to I think 27ftlbs watch it 'compress', or maybe 'deflect' would be a better word. I would like to find a cheaper source though, those bastards are pricey.

I thought the same thing, it does both I think.
Next time you put one on and torque to I think 27ftlbs watch it 'compress', or maybe 'deflect' would be a better word. I would like to find a cheaper source though, those bastards are pricey.

It does deflect a bit, but not overmuch.

Next time I do a manifold job, I've got a bagful of 3/8" Belleville spring washers and some more silicon bronze screws to use. I know the cuprous alloys work well (I used them before,) but I didn't have the Bellevilles to try then.

I'd think the Bellevilles will work a bit better, since there is more "spring" to them than to the heavy OEM washers. I'd have to stack a few - probably in parallel - to get good clamping, but that's doable. I've got plenty...

It does deflect a bit, but not overmuch.

Next time I do a manifold job, I've got a bagful of 3/8" Belleville spring washers and some more silicon bronze screws to use. I know the cuprous alloys work well (I used them before,) but I didn't have the Bellevilles to try then.

I'd think the Bellevilles will work a bit better, since there is more "spring" to them than to the heavy OEM washers. I'd have to stack a few - probably in parallel - to get good clamping, but that's doable. I've got plenty...

What about heat ?

What about heat ?

That's why the Bellevilles would be an experiment - I think they'll be able to handle the heat, but I'm not sure. I've seen them used in applications like that before tho - so they'll probably survive it.

The bronze screws work no problem - I've been using brass/bronze hardware on exhaust for 25-30 years on various vehicles (trucks, cars, boats, ...) with no ill effects.

Back