• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 5.0 Injectors

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001XJ with 94,000 miles and Im having a misfire problem. It only happens when I run it for a while then turn it off and start it a few minutes later. I looked at the heat soak TSB and that sort of sounds like my problem except that my Jeep will keep missing till I turn it off and let it cool down. The check engine light is always on whether I start it hot or cold....but it only runs like shit when I start it hot.

The codes that its throwing are:
P0204 Injector ckt cylinder 4
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire

I have hood vents and my temp never really gets that hot...210 at the highest. I have replaced all the spark plugs with champion truck plugs and correctly gapped them and replaced the boots/springs. After this the check engine light went off for a few days then came back on and I started having the same problems again.

I'm looking at getting some of the Ford 5.0 Injectors on Ebay and want to make sure I'm getting the correct ones. Which of these are the ones that are plug n play with a 2001XJ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUST...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If its neither of those could you guys give me a link to the injectors I need to get?

Thanks
Mike

From my research I believe the 'thin' Bosch Type III injectors are best since they will resist heat soak better than the older style. Actually I just purchased those same injectors for my 01 XJ Sport but I won't be back from vacation until the 24-25th so I won't know how well they work. Have you done the math for how much lb's they flow at our fuel pressure?

From my research I believe the 'thin' Bosch Type III injectors are best since they will resist heat soak better than the older style. Actually I just purchased those same injectors for my 01 XJ Sport but I won't be back from vacation until the 24-25th so I won't know how well they work. Have you done the math for how much lb's they flow at our fuel pressure?

in '99 they changed the electrical connection. i just put a set of 24#'s in my '99. ordered a set of 6 of these:
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...ct_Code=170603_1_8&Category_Code=HarnesesConn

nice adapter harness, keeps you from having to splice.

also, can't seem to find safety clips for the fuel rail that fit them yet

I doubt replacing injectors will solve the problem.

just insulate #3 and #4 injectors, theyre vapor locking
I cured my 00's misfire by doing this to #3.
used some thermotec aluminum sleeve

I was going to get some of those thermo sleeves...but I would like to upgrade the injectors as well. I haven't done the math (because I have no clue where to start) but I think I need the 24# Injectors.

Can someone link me to the Ford Injectors (the ones with the 4 holes) that will be plug and play with a 2001 XJ?

Fuel Injector 1987-1990 4.0L Engine 53003956

Fuel Injector 1991-1993 4.0L Engine 33007127

Fuel Injector 1994-1995 4.0L Engine 53030343

Fuel Injector 1996-2001 4.0L Engine 4854181

However: Ford 24lb/hr Injectors or Stock Injectors with Stock 49psi FPR for '96 to '01 XJ 4.0L or 4.0L Stroked Engines

You may want to Check Out this Recall: 1803103 - 4.0L ROUGH ENGINE IDLE AFTER RESTART FOLLOWING A HOT SOAK

2000-2001 JEEP CHEROKEE
ROUGH IDLE / MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1801301 - ROUGH IDLE AT COLD TEMPERATURES
Date: 06/11/01
Model Year(s): 2000

Description: Some vehicle engines may exhibit a rough idle and / or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) light on condition upon initial start-up after a cold soak when temperatures are below 50 degrees F (10 degrees c). This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software (Cal level 00Cal15C).

1801001 - ROUGH IDLE AT COLD TEMPERATURES
Date: 04/20/01
Model year(s): 2001

Description: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L (ERH) ENGINE BUILT PRIOR TO APRIL 30, 2001 AND CALIBRATION LEVEL PRIOR TO (LESS OR LOWER THAN) THOSE LISTED IN THE OVERVIEW ABOVE. This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software (WJ/TJ ? calibration level 01Cal14C, XJ ? calibration level 15B.)

Details: Some vehicle engines may exhibit a rough idle and/or MIL light ?on? condition upon initial start-up after a cold soak when temperatures are below 50°F (10°C).

0900303 - 4.0L MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE
Date: 08/01/03
Model Year(s): 1999-2004

Description: NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE. This bulletin involves inspection of all engine exhaust valves and a decarbonizing procedure if necessary.

Details: The customer may experience an incident of engine misfire during certain vehicle operating conditions. The misfire may occur when the vehicle is operated between 50 - 70 MPH and under light loading conditions, e.g. slight uphill road grades. This condition may occur at all ambient conditions, but is more noticeable when ambient conditions are less than 0 C (32 F).

If the vehicle is equipped with On-Board Diagnostic (OBD), a MIL illumination may also have occurred due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire. Various single cylinder misfire DTC?s may also be present. If the frequency of misfire is high the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may place the engine in ?Limp-In? mode.

The misfire condition may be caused by one or more engine exhaust valves that are slow to close. Late closure of an exhaust valve may be the result of no valve rotation and associated build up of carbon on the exhaust valve stem.

This condition may occur when the engine is not allowed to run at engine RPM?s that are greater than 3,200 RPM. At 3,200 RPM or higher the engine exhaust valves will rotate if not impeded by high carbon deposits. Low engine RPM?s and high carbon deposits are associated with short trip driving where the vehicle engine is not allowed to fully warm to normal engine operating temperatures. Cold ambient temperatures will increase engine warm-up time and add to the opportunity of carbon deposit build-up on the stem of the engine exhaust valve.

1803103 - 4.0L ROUGH ENGINE IDLE AFTER RESTART FOLLOWING A HOT SOAK
Date: 09/05/03 (supercedes 1802702 dated 09/06/02)
Model Year(s): 1999-2004

Description: NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine. This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.

Details: Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C (90ºF) or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content. Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire.

This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector #3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder #3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector #3. The insulator sleeve lowers the injector #3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder #3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts required:
56028371AA Ignition Wire Shield

Repair procedure:
1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length. See diagram.
2. Install one sleeve around injector #3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.
3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.
4. Check injector #3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o'clock position (from driver?s side of vehicle).

I have the 2nd set listed in the 1st and thet work good so far. you could try a wrecking yard I got mine out of a 99 cougar just ask if they have any CORE motors cuse you dont want to pull them out of one of there good motors. or mabe they have an intake off one that has inj they will sell

Back