• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size and opinions

cr2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
I know these questions are asked all the time and maybe I'm too lazy to find what I am looking for with the search, but here goes.

I am running right at 4 inches of lift on my xj and it is time for tires. I have been looking at getting the cooper discoverer stt's in either 31x10.50 or 32x11.50

Would the 32s require a lot of trimming to run? I do plan on bumpstopping but I don't want to have to limit my uptravel to nothing to keep them from rubbing too much. Also, what are your opinions on the coopers for a DD that sees mostly trails (some rocks and mud)

Thanks

32's would require trimming based on what i have read, but it should not be much. look and see if the cooper's run on the small or large side, if they run small you might get away with almost no triming. but im sure it depends on your lift setup and if/how you wheel.

are you running aftermarket or factory wheels?

I ran 32x11.5's for several years, without trimming. I was at 4.5" lift, and only mild bumpstopping.

dsc00434.jpg

dsc00435.jpg

What backspacing do you have with the 32s? They look nice on your rig.

I will be running soft 8's with 4in backspacing. it looks like they fit nicely as long as i bumpstop properly. I wheel mine probably twice a month or more if I am lucky but I do disco when I go.

Those were stock 15x7 jeep wheels at 5.25" backpsacking. Later I went to 15x8's with 4.5" and had to trim because they wouldnt tuck under the fender.

And yes, bout 2" bumpstop.

A friend is running 32s on 4.5" with no trimming and they hit his flares occasionally but not bad.

Got ya looks like I'll have to man up and trim if I want that backspacing on 32's. I'll prolly go with 31's for now and possibly trim while I have them. I am planning on going up more in the future any ways so trimming will have to happen sometime.

Thanks for the input

I would make the decision based on gearing and not trimming.

32's, you really want 4.56 gears. If you aren't ready to take that step, stick with 30's or 31's.

I had 32 on with 3.75" of backspacing and 4.5" of lift and i only rubbed on the bumper and plastic under the bumper while in full turn.

I haven't encountered STT's really to say. There is a limited selection of tires that hold up to the terrain this far west..

Back