• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

By request, 33's with no lift.

truckin6382

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to build the ultimate budget wheeler, with a low COG. I don't plan on having it for more than a year. I am starting with an XJ that I bought for $600 in a divorce sale.

Add these parts...
$100 crappy old BFG MT's 33x12.50x15
$60 crappy old steel wheels with free tire mounting
$30 for 4 5/16" wheel spacers
$free brand new smittybuilt 8k lbs winch (traded beadlocks for it)

and add a sawsall, some homade bumpstops, a case of beer, and steel I have laying around for armor, and I have a wheeler for well under $1k.

I got the 33s on, removed the flares, and cut the rear fenders. I jumped on the back until the bumpstops hit and I still had good clearance on the rears, but the fronts barely rub the control arm at full turn. This problem will be fixed when I adjust the steering stops a little. The tires only stick out an inch or so at the top, so the flares are staying off. Here are the pictures. first is the rear before I cut it, and the second is the rear all cut up.
jeepbye.jpg

jeepa.jpg

All cut up. I wheeled my yard, and it did ok, other than rubbing on the control arm a little.
0613091543.jpg

I will be mounting the winch and building some sliders, bumpers, etc. out of spare steel. What do you all think?

I also picked up a roof basket for it, Mostly for camping because the point of this build was to keep the COG down low.

OH, I forgot my trailer...

I bought a titled truck bed trailer and "swapped beds". :lol: It is still in build stage, although I plan to have it done for this years camping. It will be a camper trailer for the wife and I, and it will be loaded up with our gear for the ride up there. It is on 33's as well
248373066_835457551_0.jpg

Here is one of my cousin working on it.
248355041_835393888_0.jpg

This is the donor vehicle I stole the roof off of so I can close the top (using one with a sunroof so I can see through it.
285975526_969759683_0.jpg

And it's current state.
trogebegolv2.jpg

I am going to flip the shackle so it sits a bit lower.

ugly so far, i bet it will look great when done.

umm... unless ur like a mexican mohawkin midget or something theres no way your going to be sleeping in that trailer! me and my girl can barely fit in the hatch of our xj with the back seat folded down/ taken out and front seats pushed all the way forward and im only 5'7"! if i built a trailer like that, i'd build it cut off where the front window starts, weld the front doors shut, take out the glass and weld up some metal to take it's place then for the floor i'd take out the drop and make it all flat from front to rear... it would be the perfect camper! working hatch, back doors and maybe even the dome lights!

A little uptravel, but not much. As for the trailer, I am 5'10", it is 6'2" inside and I am a side sleeper, so no worries. I have already test fit it.

Snyder, thanks for the kind words :rolleyes: When are we wheeling dude?

We'll wheel soon, I just picked up an ox, superior shafts and super joints for my front along with 4.88, I also scored an 8.8 rear, just need to get it all installed and ready to go.

BTW Trogdor was cool, that's why I'm not loving the trailer.

lovin it

uptravel is over rated. its all in the droop. make sure you can keep all 4 on the ground and go from there. people thought i was crazy for putting 38s on 6 inches of lift. it flexes very well. and is still low enough to where i can make people look stupid who have lifted their junk to the sky to clear 33s.

throw some 2 inch spacers and 35s on it, and lockers and that rig would be teh tits

Bro, that is ghetto! I am pretty jealous. And as far as room in the back of a cherokee, I have found it to be room enough, if you know what I mean!:nono:
I think it would be cool to build an mj bed trailer/camper. I think I have seen one on here about 3 months ago.

Could be the photo but just that little bit of tongue weight would have me a bit concerned with the rears rubbing or at least riding on the bumpstops.

Other than that, badass. I think someone properly motivated could take a stocker, trim the fenders, comp cut the rear and stretch the WB a bit and put 35s on a stock ride height. Don't know how much I'd trust the stock arms and rubber bushings with big tires and flogging but still...

Course when you go to re-gear the axles to push those big tires, it'd be hard (for me at least) to leave the suspension alone.

33s on stock looks like an awesome all around setup, and a great counter to all the yota guys that bag on the XJ tire clearance- Xjs are cheap and time with the sawzall is pretty much free!

Back