• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing Question

XJ 4-play

NAXJA Forum User
So what is everyone running for wheel, tire size and backspacing. It would be nice to consolidate everyone's information in one space. I've seen plenty of thread with lift and tire size but backspacing doesn't always get stated.

I'm looking at some 4" backspaced wheels with 31's but would like to hear what people have and or wished they had!!

Re: Backspacing Questions

31s with stock wheels. it rubs the LCA slightly at full lock. apparently grand cherokee LCA can fix this, but i wouldn't know.

I've seen plenty of thread with lift and tire size but backspacing doesn't always get stated.

15" wheels
Height Biggest tire size
Stock Height 30x9.50x15 with stock backspacing and no Up Country package. This will give you no rubbing on or off road.
1" lift 30x9.50x15 with stock backspacing.
2" lift 31x10.50x15 with stock backspacing.
2.5" lift 31x10.50x15 with 4.75" backspacing. Onroad - This will give minor rubbing on the splash shield at full turn, which will require you to move it and slightly trim your bumper cover.
3" lift 32x11.50x15 with 4.5" backspacing
4" lift 33x10.50x15 with 4.25" backspacing
5" lift 33x12.50x15 with 3.75"/4" backspacing OR 35x10.50x15 with 3.75"/4" backspacing

I have 31's on 15x8 wheels with about 5" of backspacing (5" deep from the outside to the hub), 2 1/2" lift, and the tires stick out about 2" past the flares. I had to trim the front & rear flares too. I like the stock backspacing better.

I'll be running a 3.5 RE Super Flex and want the tires to stuff correctly. I would really like to keep the tires just inside of the flairs even if only by a hair.

Yes, Ill be looking at 15x8's with 31x10.5 xtreme all terrains I got a sweet deal on. I'm thinking 4.5 to 4" bs will be a good fit but just wanted to know what everyone else was happy or not happy with.

You may have a lot more backspacing than 5". Stock has 5.25" and I can't see .5" equating to two inches outside of the flairs. You may have 3.75" backspacing or so.

Last edited:
It's definitely a lot harder finding 15x8's with 4" bs. I've found a lot of 4.5" bs without even having to look hard.

I'm guessing the 31x10.5 with 15x8's and 4.5" are the way to go.

From what i've gathered a RE 3.5 and 31's would work well with 4.5's and stuff properly with no rubbing or flair bashing.
...Would 4" bs fit better......

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've got the tires aching to get some rims on them so I can put them on.

I ran an RE 3.5" SuperRide for 2 years on 31x10.5 on 15x8 with 4" of backspacing.

Rubbed in the front at full stuff/full lock either way with no trimming or bumpstopping.

If you trimmed slightly or bumpstopped correctly I doubt you would rub with 4" of backspacing. 4.5" of backspacing should be ok.

I see, now you got me thinking I've got to find some 4" again. Did they stick out at all when on level ground or stay within the fenders.

I've found some new crager soft 8's for 35 bucks a pop. Don't think I can pass them up. Just worried about how long they will take to ship

It's definitely a lot harder finding 15x8's with 4" bs. I've found a lot of 4.5" bs without even having to look hard.

I bought mine from Summit Racing but they're only across town for me.

Edit: I have 6" Full Traction lift and probably should have gone with 3.75" bs.

I'll be running a 3.5 RE Super Flex and want the tires to stuff correctly. I would really like to keep the tires just inside of the flairs even if only by a hair.

Yes, Ill be looking at 15x8's with 31x10.5 xtreme all terrains I got a sweet deal on. I'm thinking 4.5 to 4" bs will be a good fit but just wanted to know what everyone else was happy or not happy with.

You may have a lot more backspacing than 5". Stock has 5.25" and I can't see .5" equating to two inches outside of the flairs. You may have 3.75" backspacing or so.

So here's the deal... I just installed a 3.5" Super Flex Kit. I am running 32x11.5 MTR's on the stock wheels. Yes, it will stuff the rear tires... but only after trimming the fenders. See the picture below, my tires are very stuffed and now they are a little cut. This is after the fenders were cut/rolled. To prevent the rubbing on the LCA's I installed the Spidertrax wheel spacers in the front. Adding spacers to the rear (or different offset) would just cause the tires to rub on the fender lips since it wouldn't stuff anymore.

P6060050.jpg

So my solution was to install some JKS shackles in the rear, as well as coil spacers in the front. It still rubbed in the rear, the only way to prevent this was to fabricate some bumpstop extensions using 2x2" tubing. This has pretty much solved the problem now, and it only rubs when I am REALLY flexing. I think more 3.75" offset in the rear would actually make things worse. I totally want to buy some new wheels, but I think that will require more lift.

After a lot of searching I'm a little worried about the 4" BS sticking out too far past the flairs with 31's if they are out too far they may hit the fenders when flexing. Anyone run 31's with 4" or 4.5" where do they sit in relation to the flairs.

Man, I'm even annoying myself. But like stated earlier the tires are here and I'm ordering the wheels tonight and I really don't want to be disappointed and want another set of wheels once they are mounted like I see people do every single day on this site even though they researched as well.

I know what you mean... I really want new wheels too. But as you can see from my picture, there really isn't too much space to work with. My tires would be WAY more cut if I didn't intall the bumstop extensions.

If my offset was 3.75", the tires would definetly hit the fenders possibly doing some body damage.

Even with the stock offset, you will need to remove the flares. I learned the hard way... I had to drive back and find the pieces along the trail.

To run the 32's, your fenders need to be cut and rolled as well. If it looks to "ugly" you can install some aftermarket flares from Bushwacker or Rusty's.

I thought 32's would fit the 3.5" kit.

I was wrong.

As much as I appreciate the feedback (32's are definitely on the plans table just not right now). I will be running 31x10.5 and am looking to purchase 15x8" wheels with either a 4" or 4.5" backspacing all on a 3.5 RE Super Flex.

Does anyone run one and love it or wish they had gone with the other or something else all together. I wish the tire shops would let you try em on before you buy them right.

As much as I appreciate the feedback (32's are definitely on the plans table just not right now). I will be running 31x10.5 and am looking to purchase 15x8" wheels with either a 4" or 4.5" backspacing all on a 3.5 RE Super Flex.

Does anyone run one and love it or wish they had gone with the other or something else all together. I wish the tire shops would let you try em on before you buy them right.

so did you decide on a rim backspacing? cus im in the same boat you were in. im looking at 4" backsapcing i run 31x10.5 now on stock 15x7 stock backspacin wit a full 3inch lift.

looking at 15x8 wit a 4 inch backspacing. trying to see pics. i was considering even 3.75 but a guy i spoke to who had um on claims to far out. any input

looking at 15x8 wit a 4 inch backspacing. trying to see pics. i was considering even 3.75 but a guy i spoke to who had um on claims to far out. any input

ive run 32x11.50s on 15x8 w/ 3.75 BS. the tires stick out quite a bit with no flares. it looked like i was running fullwidths when i had the 1.25" wheel spacers on too :D
PB010149.jpg

Back