• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borgeson steering shaft

js_customs

NAXJA Forum User
My stock steering shaft is really worn out and I'm getting ready to replace it. How does the Borgeson shaft compare to the stock shaft? Is it worth the extra money? I did some searching but only came up with a few threads from several years ago. It's an 88 xj with 4.5" on 32's, nothing too extreme. It's my dd and gets wheeled (when it's not falling apart) so I want something that's going to last.

My stock steering shaft is really worn out and I'm getting ready to replace it. How does the Borgeson shaft compare to the stock shaft? Is it worth the extra money? I did some searching but only came up with a few threads from several years ago. It's an 88 xj with 4.5" on 32's, nothing too extreme. It's my dd and gets wheeled (when it's not falling apart) so I want something that's going to last.

Did I see right that it cost $285? :scared:

Yeah....thats why I was wondering if it's really worth it. If spending the extra $170 over the stock one will greatly improve my steering and last longer, then I don't really have a problem paying for it.

I don't think there's enough there that can be improved on to make a shaft worth that kind of money. My $10 mismatched junkyard unit is working just fine. I'd say get a used unit and spend the coin elsewhere. See my recent shaft post: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998413

The steering box is bad also but I already have a stock replacement from a parts jeep. If it turns out to be worn out too, I'll look into the durango box. I guess for the steering shaft I'll hit up the junkyard and find a decent one...if not, a stock replacement is like $89 on ebay.

The stock parts are just fine. I had to fix mine because the rubber wore out and the inner shaft would slip about 1/8 turn inside the outer. I put some aluminum spacers in it and held them in place with a worm drive clamp.

Yeah, that's what is wrong with mine too...I'll just try repairing it and if I'm not satisfied I'll just try to find one in the junkyard that's in decent shape.

Some of you guys would happily nickle and dime yourselves right into your graves. It's your STEERING.
Is the stock setup fine when new? Sure. Can a worn out unit be replaced with another worn out one from a yard? Sure. Can one be cobbled together with mismatched parts and bailing wire? Sure.
Do I have a TON more confidence in my Borgeson unit, even considering the considerable extra cost? SURE!
But that's me. YMMV

Some of you guys would happily nickle and dime yourselves right into your graves. It's your STEERING.
Is the stock setup fine when new? Sure. Can a worn out unit be replaced with another worn out one from a yard? Sure. Can one be cobbled together with mismatched parts and bailing wire? Sure.
Do I have a TON more confidence in my Borgeson unit, even considering the considerable extra cost? SURE!
But that's me. YMMV

Come on, it is just steering... ;) I say go with a NEW stock unit.

Haha, I think I'll risk my life to save the extra $170, but thanks ;). No, but seriously, I appreciate the reply. If I wasn't broke and in college I'd probably get the Borgeson, but a lot of people seem to have good luck with just the stock one. This stock one's lasted over 240,000 miles, so I'm thinking that I'll be ok with that.

I remember being a broke student - twice. So I sympathize. But I think you're smart to go with a new stock unit over one from a yard on a piece that is so safety critical. Good luck in school.

I remember being a broke student - twice. So I sympathize. But I think you're smart to go with a new stock unit over one from a yard on a piece that is so safety critical. Good luck in school.

Thanks...I actually only have a week left and then I graduate. Then I get to pay off $20,000 in student loans. Yeah I think I'm going to go with a new stock unit instead of welding it.

But that's me. YMMV

You need to relax a bit. My cobbled together unit is just as safe as your spendy borgeson unit. If you're so concerned with my well being I'd be happy to provide you with my address and you can hook me up with a borgeson unit of my very own.

You need to relax a bit. My cobbled together unit is just as safe as your spendy borgeson unit. If you're so concerned with my well being I'd be happy to provide you with my address and you can hook me up with a borgeson unit of my very own.

You need to climb off before you have a problem. Good luck with your chosen path. I hope it doesn't cross into my lane and kill anyone I love.

The stock parts are just fine. I had to fix mine because the rubber wore out and the inner shaft would slip about 1/8 turn inside the outer.

Mine did the same thing. After spending two hours at the yard pulling out 3 shafts only to find that they did the same thing just by turning them by hand I gave up and bought the Borgeson unit. After its said and done it was about $100 more than the new stocker. I'm in the 'peace-of-mind' boat on the safety issue. The unit is bullet-proof for sure. If the Jeep lives another 20 years (ha) I know I won't have to ever replace it. If you do go for it don't buy it directly from Borgeson like I did. 4Wheel Drive Hardware sells it for less

Mine did the same thing. After spending two hours at the yard pulling out 3 shafts only to find that they did the same thing just by turning them by hand I gave up and bought the Borgeson unit. After its said and done it was about $100 more than the new stocker. I'm in the 'peace-of-mind' boat on the safety issue. The unit is bullet-proof for sure. If the Jeep lives another 20 years (ha) I know I won't have to ever replace it. If you do go for it don't buy it directly from Borgeson like I did. 4Wheel Drive Hardware sells it for less
If my aluminum spacers ever get worn out I will pull the shaft (that sounds like a solo project:D) and carefully TIG weld the tab to lock it in place. I am totally confident in this plan as the stock shaft is built to be quite fail safe. I think the discussion about welding the shaft and how "dangerous" that would be is a little exaggerated. Sure if it was welded incorrectly there could be problems but to simply tack the tab to the outer shell would not pose any risk at all if done correctly. Also if such a weld should fail then you're only back to having a loose shaft, not a catastrophic failure.

Back