• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air shocks

Do you mean air shocks, as in the ones you can inflate to carry more load? If so, I used air shocks from Sears on my XJ, and a Bronco II before that, for years to level the vehicles when towing my boat/camper trailer. It was a nice alternative to having the headlights pointed at the sky! They were very "streetable"....worked well.

Don't tow heavy trailers with my XJ now...so don't use them any more.

Airbags? I played with the idea, but ended up deciding there would be no advantage offroad.

Do you mean something like these?

helper-air.jpg

or

kit-pic1.gif

Phone: (651) 644-2323
Email: http://www.offroadonly.com/email_form.php

AiROCK™ is a computer controlled coil replacement system. The coil springs are replaced by our custom air springs, and the bump stops are moved to the custom shock absorbers that come with the kit. The system includes four air springs, four shocks, the user interface, the AiROCK™ Control Unit (ACU), four height sensors, stainless steel brackets, and the wiring harness and tubing to connect all of the components.
AiROCK™ ties into the Vehicle Speed Sensor, (VSS) which in conjunction with the ACU, allows the system to know the vehicle speed and height of all four corners at all times. This information allows AiROCK™ to operate in three different driving modes, which include "Off road", "Highway" and "Freeway". The end result is the best of both worlds-- total control of your vehicle's behavior off road, and a safe, level vehicle at higher speeds.

Hope this helps.

Are air shocks streetable?

Having never run them on the street, I dont 'really' know - BUT!

Having run them at speed for ~20 minutes in really rough terrain, and general trail riding -

The suspension feels very stable and works just as well as my coil spring suspension.

I'd run them on the street.

I also run Fox 2.5's and I think picking the right size airshock, and taking the time to tune them really plays a part in their feel.

2.0 Airshocks dont have any place on an XJ - their shaft displacement per travel just doesnt work out for the weight of our rigs.

here is a good thread with links to discussions on airshocks -
http://www.rockhardxj.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2653

i have seen them run with a regular shock too so you would have an air shock and regular shock on each corner so you have better control cuz airshocks have a very flat spring rate thats just what i think but i dont know for sure but they work better on lite slow rigs

i have seen them run with a regular shock too so you would have an air shock and regular shock on each corner so you have better control cuz airshocks have a very flat spring rate thats just what i think but i dont know for sure but they work better on lite slow rigs

That has not been my expierence.

An airshocks spring rate is inhernatly progressive...

What expierence do you have with these? What knid of terrain? Where did you have issues with dampening that required an additional shock?

.. I feel i have to ask.. have you ever seen an airshock? ;)

They are exactly the opposite of what you said.

Air shocks would be great if you were doing some sort of Jeepspeed like stuff in your spare time, otherwise they are basically overkill. But to answer your question, they would work just fine on the street.

are the 2.5's necessary for an mj?

has to do w/ the sprung weight... the comanche had a stock curb weight of 3,090 lbs, the cherokee is 3,057 lbs...

this isnt like racing shocks where bigger is better... my understanding is that the piston isnt large enough to suspend enough weight, and ride nicely on the average trail ready cherokee/comanche.

is it even possible to run an airshock similar to a 'coil carrier' coilover? ie just remove the valving?

Back