• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed SYE now speedo gear eaten

calvynandhobbs

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my SYE this weekend and it went pretty well except for the speedo was working for a little while and then just dropped to zero and doesn't move. I pulled it out of the t-case yesterday and the gears on the speedo are completely eaten. Should I have replaced the long shaft speedo with a short shaft one with the installation of a SYE? I didn't read that anywhere.

when you install a speedo gear, the housing needs to be clocked correctly for the number of teeth on the speedo gear. did you clock/align the housing correctly or did you just put the housing on without looking at the alignment numbers/marks?

I marked the housing to make sure it went in the same way it came out. With that little clip it will only fit one of two ways and the way the cable was already bent it would really only fit back in the same way it came out. I really needed a new speedo anyway since mine is off. I've still been running the stock speedo with 33s. I just want to make sure it goes in correctly when I buy a new one and if that new one needs to be the short shaft or long shaft with the SYE installed.

Short shaft or long shaft depends on what is currently in your t-case. That doesn't change with an SYE.

Make sure that the o-ring is not pinched and preventing the speedo assy from sitting flat. Mine did that and that was my issue

Did you install the plastic drive gear correctly(sye side)?

Did you install the plastic drive gear correctly(sye side)?

As far as I know I did. The speedo worked for a few miles and I didn't see any bumping around of the needle or anything and then it just stopped. The only problem I had installing the SYE is that I did it at a friend's house and when I went to leave I couldn't get it out of 4lo (actually 2lo). I drove it about 10 miles at 30-35mph in low gear to get home and then went back to his place in the morning to finish. We had accidentally pulled a pin out of its slot when we lowered the tcase and when we pushed it back up we didn't get it in the slot so even when I was pulling the lever it wasn't engaging the tcase. The directions for the install said to have it in 4lo for the installation and since the lever wasn't engaging it never came back out. Could driving it that fast in low gear rip the gears off the speedo?

i dont think it being in 4lo would affect the speedo gear since it is on the mainshaft and is actually spinning slower than in 2 or 4hi. when you get your new speedo gear pick up a new o-ring at the same time.

G

As far as I know I did. The speedo worked for a few miles and I didn't see any bumping around of the needle or anything and then it just stopped. The only problem I had installing the SYE is that I did it at a friend's house and when I went to leave I couldn't get it out of 4lo (actually 2lo). I drove it about 10 miles at 30-35mph in low gear to get home and then went back to his place in the morning to finish. We had accidentally pulled a pin out of its slot when we lowered the tcase and when we pushed it back up we didn't get it in the slot so even when I was pulling the lever it wasn't engaging the tcase. The directions for the install said to have it in 4lo for the installation and since the lever wasn't engaging it never came back out. Could driving it that fast in low gear rip the gears off the speedo?

I'm going to order a new speedo gear from Chrysler parts direct. I looked up all the numbers from this site:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

The J3212730 has been superseded by part number 52068152 according to a couple sites used as reference as well as the Chrysler parts direct website. I've been reading about the price of these going up on several sites and everybody was complaining that these were around $70. According to the Chrysler direct website the one for my 89 XJ is less than $10. It must be the mechanical speedo verses the electrical of the newer models. I'm going to order it today and pull the tcase apart to make sure the gear on the SYE was installed correctly and that everything lines up the way it is supposed to.
http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/

for my 89, i got the gear from the dealer for around 10$.

i dont think it matters wether the speedo is electrical or mechanical. the vss converts the mechanical rotation into an electrical signal.

as for short shaft or long shaft, if you have the correct gear, it can be pressed on and off and the gear can be used on either shaft.

If you look at the price of a 96 XJ speedo gear you're looking at $60-$70 for the electrical one. You and I have the older mechanical style that was only used in 87-90 so ours is cheaper.

Back