• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting Tired of steering box replacements

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
For Some reason I cant keep a steering box in my jeep. I have gone through 4 used xj boxes and most recently one yj box in a total of 3 yrs., The last two years on 33's with a rugged ridge steering. They all get side to side play in the shaft over time. Is this something I can expect to keep happening? I am reluctant to install a reman unit, arent they just the same box with new bearings and seals? not sure what to do,getting tired of messing with them

PSC extreme duty box!!! done. Because used, is well.....used.

Got any pics of your steering geometry?

I'll snap one in a bit, I think its good. I'm going with a napa rebuilt with a warranty, Just dont know whether to get a yj or xj box? the yj box? cant remember the difference and the yj box is $70buck cheaper
JEEPIE.jpg

2-9.jpg

Last edited:
That steering geometry is awful.

The vertical vector portion of force in that picture is putting tremendous strain on beraings that have very little thrust resistance. In other words, the bearings used in steering boxes are only designed to take horizontal forces as found with a MUCH flatter drag link. Time for a high steer arm and a raised track bar mount.

Oh, one other tip, if I was going to pay for a new steering gear, I'd buy a Durango gear. It has a larger piston area and provides greater turning force.

So I'm to high for this steering setup? how the heck do I raise my trackbar mount? Will a steering stabilizer prolong the life of my steering box? thanks!

Look up an over the axle trackbar. You'll need both a mount, and a shorter trackbar.

No, I doubt that a stabilizer will help.

Crappy, just went to the double shear trackbar. It drives fine and dont notice any bumpsteer.

Don't forget about the late 80's early 90's camaro/firebirds. If you can find a steering box out of them with a "Z" cast in the side of it that's supposed to be a very good box.

I'm not putting any more money into this dana 30, I will install the new box, a stabilizer and wheel it for now while keeping an eye open for a d44 project. Thanks for all your replies. Guess I should have been checking in here and asking more along the way! Live and learn.

Wish I didnt to alloys and locker on the turdy!

This is a bad pic, but here's my steering geometry with Teraflex high steer and the JKS over the axle trackbar mount. I still have a lot of side-to-side play in the box, but it was worked hard before the high steer was installed. I used a Waggy drop pitman arm also. The trackbar looks like that because I cut down the TNT one I had to make it work. Eventually I want to make a straight trackbar to eliminate the bend.

HPIM1423.jpg

I have taken all of the flex out of the steering box mount with the JCR plates and MORE brace (not in the pic), so the sector shaft is really the only thing that can flex/wear.

Back