• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to AX15 = 4.03 gear ratio???

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm doing a manual swap to get rid of my forever failing AW4, and something crossed my mind today. I searched, but found jack, should be a simple straghtforward answer.

AX15's come with 3.07 gears in the front and back.

AW4's come with 3.55's (most).

I'm assuming they are both generally geared to have similar torque and power, so by swapping in the AX15, is it going to feel like I now have 4.03 gears all around? or am I just stupid?

I got to this by going 3.55-3.07=0.48. So there is a .48 gear difference between the two. Add that to the 3.55 that are actually in my jeep, and you get 4.03?

No, as 4th gear in a ax-15 is 1:1 in 4th you have a 3.55 ratio vs the 3.07 in a stock 5 spd. Basically if you multiply your diff ratio (3.55) by your trans gear ratio you will get your effective ratio in that gear.

Don't forget that the auto and manual have different overdrive ratios. Basically what I have found is opposite of what the factory did. Manual transmissions need lower gear ratios to make them work better in off-road conditions. You can get away with using a higher (numerically lower) gear ratio in an auto because of the torque converter slip.

I did the swap from auto to manual. Best thing I ever did for the reliability of my rig. I blew up 5 AW4s before I got smart and got rid of it once and for all.

Ah I see. I forgot about the direct drive. So Bryan C did you feel any difference in torque when you did the swap? I know the AW4's 3rd gear is 1:1, So it should be cool having and extra gear in between direct and overdrive :)

Edit: Looked up the gear ratio's for both. Looks like the swap will produce a good little bit of torque. They are as follows:

AW4: 2.80, 1.53, 1.00, .75

AX15: 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, .79

So the AW4's final output in overdrive is 2.66, whereas the AX15's is 2.81. Am I doing this correctly?

Last edited:
Back