• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need new exhaust downpipe (i believe that's it's name)

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced the old exhaust manifold with a OE one, APN. The one prior was a long tube hooker header... now there is a decent sized gap between the exhaust manifold and where the pipe goes into the cat. converter.

Is there a piece I can buy to bolt in between? Or should I get a pipe that goes from the exhaust manifold to the cat.

Picture001.jpg

First pic is the new exhaust manifold, much shorter than the old one.

Picture002-1.jpg

Here you can see the gapage between the new manifold and where it met the old one...

Picture003-1.jpg

Last pic is just another angle of the piping that goes into the cat converter.

The guy at Napa Auto said he can probably get the part from their warehouse tomorrow for about $117... just curious if there was a better place to buy this piece and what options i've got.

Thanks.

Yeah, just take it to an exhaust shop Brian.

I bought one from Autozone several years ago. Crinkle bends, no studs in the flange (needed 3 hands to install the pipe and hardware), the front DS chewed on it since it didn't have the big dent like the factory pipe and the fit wasn't as good as stock... I guess that's about it. I tried to go cheap instead of having the local shop make one. I'd probably go that route with the benefit of hindsight.

I bought one from Autozone several years ago. Crinkle bends, no studs in the flange (needed 3 hands to install the pipe and hardware), the front DS chewed on it since it didn't have the big dent like the factory pipe and the fit wasn't as good as stock... I guess that's about it. I tried to go cheap instead of having the local shop make one. I'd probably go that route with the benefit of hindsight.

Sounds like this is the route ill go
Thanks

Have the shop put a flex piece in the bottom of your new down pipe to prevent header cracking in the future

I put a walker downpipe on my jeep when I did the exhaust. Biggest POS ever. Didn't fit right, the O2 sensor practically rubs the oil pan. I will get the local exhaust shop to make me a down pipe next time.

That's a huge gap. Are you sure the part you installed is even the correct part? How can someone sell that exhaust manifold and claim it fits your XJ when it comes up almost a foot short? This is why many people pay extra for OEM parts. Nothing worse than an aftermarket part that doesn't fit.

That's a huge gap. Are you sure the part you installed is even the correct part? How can someone sell that exhaust manifold and claim it fits your XJ when it comes up almost a foot short? This is why many people pay extra for OEM parts. Nothing worse than an aftermarket part that doesn't fit.

Since you like to point out others inability to read posts, you probably noticeded the OP's statement that the previous manifold was a long tube hooker header ... thus NOT a stock configuration. Now, he has replaced that with a stock replacement type manifold ... and so now has the issue at hand.

easy answer ... replace with a new pipe from manifold to cat, stock replacement should work now.

not so easy answer ... cut and weld an extension in (if you can weld or know someone that can).

Back