• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift suggestions?

Twisted_Dakota

NAXJA Forum User
I have $4,000 to spend on the jeep and I know I am going to be getting steering, gears, wheels, and tires. So my question is: would it be better to peice a kit togther or buy a complete kit.

I want a long arm kit but don't really want a 6.5'' kit. Is it ok or possible to run a long arm kit with 4.5'' to 5.5'' inches?

Thanks,
Evan...

The Dakota steering box has been a upgrade you may be interested in. You can always upgrade most any kit to long arms. A lot of 4.5 and larger kits are available in a long arm kit.

It is always better to buy a complete kit as they are engineered so all the parts function properly together.

$4000 will take you a long ways if you plan to do the work yourself or have friends that can help you.

$1600 for great tires and rims, and the rest for a lift and a Hack N Tack SYE and Automatic Front Driveshaft to use in the rear. A short arm kit up to 5.5 can take you a lot of places. If you do go with a short arm kit... my suggestion is shorten the front driveshaft by 1.5 to 2"s for about $50 depending on how high you go.

The Dakota steering box has been a upgrade you may be interested in. You can always upgrade most any kit to long arms. A lot of 4.5 and larger kits are available in a long arm kit.

It is always better to buy a complete kit as they are engineered so all the parts function properly together.

$4000 will take you a long ways if you plan to do the work yourself or have friends that can help you.

$1600 for great tires and rims, and the rest for a lift and a Hack N Tack SYE and Automatic Front Driveshaft to use in the rear. A short arm kit up to 5.5 can take you a lot of places. If you do go with a short arm kit... my suggestion is shorten the front driveshaft by 1.5 to 2"s for about $50 depending on how high you go.

should have stated:
Jeep already has an SYE

Tires and wheels arent gonna cost me any where near $1600 I work at Discount tire. Want to run 4.56 gears found a complete kit with master install kit for $450. If i run a 15x10 wheel what back spacing should i go with?

Also, you may ask why I say shorten the front driveshaft with a short arm kit. The ark of the axle assembly will compress the driveshaft at full drop causing it to put force onto the Ujoint. When that Ujoint gives the driveshaft disconnects and ends up punching a hole into your transfer case. Why do I know this.... It happened to me. It did this and wiped out all my TC shift linkage. I have never read of this happening. But be forewarned. The fix cost me $1300 and I did most of the labor myself.

I have $4,000 to spend on the jeep and I know I am going to be getting steering, gears, wheels, and tires. So my question is: would it be better to peice a kit togther or buy a complete kit.

I want a long arm kit but don't really want a 6.5'' kit. Is it ok or possible to run a long arm kit with 4.5'' to 5.5'' inches?

Thanks,
Evan...
Look up ironrockoffroad, they have the 6.5 critical path complete suspension system, which works from 4.5 -8".comes with everything you need. just tell them you want coils and leafs for 4.5" l/A lift.also if your going with 12.50 tires,run 8" rims 4" B/S.

Look up ironrockoffroad, they have the 6.5 critical path complete suspension system, which works from 4.5 -8".comes with everything you need. just tell them you want coils and leafs for 4.5" l/A lift.also if your going with 12.50 tires,run 8" rims 4" B/S.

really why 8'' why not 10'' and if i run the conversion steering from rustys i have to have at least 4.75''BS

Thanks,
Evan...

I pieced ,y kit together but if I were to do it again I would save up and buy a complete kit and buy all the parts new. RE makes a nice 5.5 inch longarm kit and I know BDS makes a 4.5 long arm kit. I have no experiance with the BDS but have ridden with a few jeeps with the RE kit and they all rode pretty nice and flex good. Another option instead of Long arms that would save you some dough would be frop backets. they"ll ride just as good. Im throwing on some drop brackets when I decide to bump up in lift.

I'm not sure what you mean by Huh?

15x10 rims with 3.75 backspacing are the best choice for 12.50s. Imagine what the tire may look like on the different rim sizes. On 15x7 or 15x8s ballooning causing the center section of the tread to bulge makes sense. It should since that is what happens.

Also, drop brackets are nice but not a necessity. Just shorten the front driveshaft and everything will be fine. I have no problems with my short arm setup now and I drive everywhere without my sway bar connected.

Last edited:
ok on the 3.75 BS

what yall think about the iron rock off road kit?

ok on the 3.75 BS
what yall think about the iron rock off road kit?

Which kit are you thinking of?
XJ 6.5" Critical Path Long Arm Lift Kit
XJ 5.5" Lift Kit
or the XJ 4" Lift Kit ?

I would never go with a AAL kit since they flatten out. Mine did.

Last edited:
Which kit are you thinking of?
XJ 5.5" Lift Kit
or the XJ 4" Lift Kit ?

I would never go with a AAL kit since they flatten out. Mine did.

right now the jeep has a 3'' rustys kit with AAL and its flat as pancakes. was on the jeep when i bought it.
this is how the jeep sits right now:

1-3.jpg

I love lift threads :greensmok

Me too:wave:

I got the tire part taken care of thats easy. Now I just need to know whats better 15x10 or 15x8? Tires are 33x12.50/15 Goodyear MTR (the new one). Got the gears ratio taken care of. 95% of the work will be done by me, my buddy, and his dad. Only part that wont be done by us is installing the gears.

Last edited:
It looks as good as most long arm kits and is very affordable. The sway bar connects are not adjustable in the photo so I would upgrade to the JKS Quicker Disconnects.

In the lower left hand corner it looks like it comes with shims, but I am not sure. If it does then that would help with differential angle.

I would go with it if I had the $$$.

It looks as good as most long arm kits and is very affordable. The sway bar connects are not adjustable in the photo so I would upgrade to the JKS Quicker Disconnects.

In the lower left hand corner it looks like it comes with shims, but I am not sure. If it does then that would help with differential angle.

I would go with it if I had the $$$.

Jeep also already has these:
JKS Quicker Disconnects

I am 98% sure I am going to get this kit. My next question is are their any opinions on this:

Conversions - Over-the-Knuckle Steering
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RS-SC300-UV&Category_Code=ste

Not to complicate matters, but...

I needed something DDable but functional. I went with Dirk's 4" OME hybrid and some drop brackets. Its loaded with some JKS goodies...not here yet, but I will post some feedback when its installed...and driven

Back