• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x12.50 tires.. some questions

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I will be running a 4.5" rough country lift with 33x12.50 all-terrain tires.

Will the stock rims work with these tires? I hear that they will rub... is that true?

What backspacing would be adequate for these tires if I were to get new rims?

Will I need to trim my fenders to fit these tires?

Thanks,
Jeep450r

yeah they will probably rub... i ran 31x10.5 and i rubbed at full lock. for a 12.5 i think the reccomended backspacing is 3.75 or 4". just pick up some steelies from quadratec or something 50 bucks a pop is pretty good.... and dont beleive the ads for the blackrock series... they are indefinatly backordered... because they havnt started production yet....

oh and minor fender trim would be reccomended if you wheel it

What is the stock backspacing?

And, dgrigorenko, how well do your A/T's hook up offroad?

I am running 33 12.50 on 4" backspaced wheels. It works, but since you have moved the wheels out you will need to trim if you plan on flexing it, well that or do what i did and wait for a flare to eject itslef and then trim and move the flare.

I'm running 33x12.5 on mine with 4" backspacing and with a 6" rough country and I have rub at full turn with very little flex. I'd say you will definetely need to trim up the fenders. Most would tell you that you can't use the stock rims with these tires. It can be done, but you won't have full contact where the rubber meets the road because the beads are so close together. At 25 psi on mine with an 8" rim I can see a gap between the outside of the tread and the road, I can only imagine what it would be like with a 7" rim.

You will most certainly have to trim, or bumpstop the crap out of it for any flexing. I have 33 12.50's on a 6.5" clayton long arm lift and had to trim quite a bit to get full flex on it. I also have the tires mounted on Soft 8's with 4" of backspacing with no rubbing on the long arms at lock, but dont know about stock arms.

I would not want a 12.50 tire on a 7 inch rim... a 10.50 would be doable.

On a 7 inch Rim you would have a Balloon effect and will not have even tire wear. It will wear down the middle of the thread.
With a 4.5" Lift, you would need to cut the front fenders all the up as far as you can go and get extended bump stops.

As far as backspacing, go with 3.75 and a 15x10 Rim. This will allow the tread to have full contact with the road surface and rubbing will be at a minimum. IMHO.

Last edited:
What is the stock backspacing?

And, dgrigorenko, how well do your A/T's hook up offroad?

i want to say stock backspacing is 5" but im not exactly sure. i love my AT's personally, and they have gripped when they needed to.

I run 6 in lift, 33x12.5 on a 10 in rim with 3.75 backspacing. I had to trim my fenders to get full stuff and my tires stick out about 2 in past my flares.
I dont recommend the 12.5 on a 7 in rim, especially if it is driven on the road much. If your laws will allow the tire sticking out I would go to the same setup as me. Makes for a very stable wheeler.

my .02

Back