• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 Guys...what shocks?

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished my 8.8 install a little while back. Used Ruff Stuff shock brackets that put the shock mount at about the middle of the axle. Now my shocks (skyjacker's designed for my 3" lift) bottom out. Obviously I need shorter shocks.

What shocks are you guys running to avoid bottoming out? I'm still running the stock bar pin mount at the top.

Thanks in advance!!!

Why didn't you just mount your shocks to the side? I attached my shocks, and swung them over to get the angle...and then welded the mounts as close to the u-bolts as possible.

But since you already did it, take the shocks off, flex your Jeep, and measure. That is the only way to know what the absolute correct shock length needs to be.

~Scott

I ended up running stock length shocks! I still get all the flex that i need and they dont bottom out

I ended up reusing the stock shock brackets from my 8.25 on my 8.8. Only drug them once or twice... I drag the diff more than those.

I was then able to reuse the lift shocks. However, at that time I switched over to stock 07 JK rear shocks as they are gas charged and are 100x better than the oil charged Rusty's shocks for the rear ride quality. The JK shock was only about 1.5" shorter than the lift shocks and hasn't affected my droop as the leaf's never let the rear drop out that much anyhow.

Last edited:
I am at 5.5" lift and also have ruff stuff mounts welded about halfway on my 8.8. I had some monroe sensatracs with about 5k on them from when I first bought my XJ and didnt plan on modding it (HA HA!) Well, I put them on and it is just about perfect and they flex out just right. So as long as you're around that lift height stock length should be good.

OK...thanks for the input. Sounds like stock shocks will work for compression, will just need to check the extension.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and take flex measurements to be sure. If I really need to, I can still hack off the stock shock brackets from the original rear end (I still have the axle) and mount them in place of the Ruff Stuff ones I got.

Thanks again!

Back