• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting leafs on a trussed axle?

JamesD

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to put a set of leafs on the front of my XJ but after measuring the widths of both the jeep and axle and determining my placement it ends up being almost dead center on the top of the pumpkin. So has anyone ever trussed an axle and mounted leafs to it? Pics are appreciated. Thanks

JamesD said:
I am wanting to put a set of leafs on the front of my XJ but after measuring the widths of both the jeep and axle and determining my placement it ends up being almost dead center on the top of the pumpkin. So has anyone ever trussed an axle and mounted leafs to it? Pics are appreciated. Thanks

Are you saying you want to add a truss over the top of the pumpkin, and then add leafs to the top of that?

Got axle wrap?

BTW, this problem is a direct result of your front axle choice. The differential offset of the late model Ford axle plays havoc with mounting. You will very likely have to outboard your front spring mounts to compensate. Ford frames are very wide, late model Ford frames are even wider.

Just inboard the hell out of the springs and put the perch on the other side of the diff. It'll flex like a mofo that way.

Or maybe do one of those nifty setups with the longitudinal leaf springs with a pivot in the middle.

Well it is a Dana 50 that I am wanting to run and from what I can remember the pumpkin starts about an inch from the end of the tube and runs for about 21 or 22 inches. I just assumed my only option was to go up and over. I am just searching for ideas here or possibly pics if someone has done it. I will post up exact specs in the morning. I left them in the office. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Let me be blunt, without my usual uncalled-for sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek attempts at humor:

Do not mount a leaf spring suspension to the top of a differential. It's like adding 8 inch blocks to the front axle, awful axle wrap and unsafe driving conditions will result.

Mount your leaf springs in a way that accomodates the OEM perches on your 50. I believe they are something like 33.5" inches c-t-c.

Here are some pics of the axle. Also the tube of the axle is appx. 45.5" and the pumpfin is appx. 20.5" long. That is estimated with a tape late at night last night.
9aedre2.jpg

6aa2re2.jpg

2ebbre2.jpg

sorry to tell you, but looks like a bad axle choice. try selling to someone else and buy one that will work. Otherwise you most likely will have to re-tube it, and that is very costly.

Sorry to resurrect this after is has kind of died but will it greatly hinder the strength of the axle by grinding off the webbing on the inner side of the pumpkin? I have been doing some measuring and from what I have figured if I can grind down really close to the housing then I can have enough room to in board the springs and they still be far enough apart fro stability. Any ideas or is this totally un heard of to gring them off. Thanks

Or possibly outboarding a bit and doing it on the outer side. Or will this totally kill all forms of flex having the spring that close to the outside of the axle?

In all seriousness.... its the wrong axle for this application. Strenght, width, and spring mounts is all wrong.

Really, you can get other axles that will darn near bolt in. Like BrettM did.

OK cool. It was laready on E-Bay before I sent that last post but I figured I would ask even if it was just for later reference. The search has begun again for a new xle. :firedevil

Back