• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission leak... I have searched

zeroforhire

NAXJA Forum User
1990 XJ stock
Auto

I am pretty sure it is just a seal of some sort that needs to be replaced. I am fairly new to fixing jeeps, but I really want to learn to take care of it myself. Here are a few pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeroforhire/3629516102/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeroforhire/3628703211/

I couldn't figure out how to embedd the photos into my post.

How would I go about fixing this? It is just leaking a little bit right now, but I don't want to lose the transmission over this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

its a 4 wheel drive.. I will go ahead and get the seals this week and take care of it. Any thing else I should know before ripping into this? Tips? Or is it really as easy as it sounds...

:)

Dex 3 it is.

Thanks a bunch.

I replaced the seal... it was a pain to get out. I took off the tail cone and had to basically take a dremel to the seal and cut it out chunk by chunk. After it was out, I replaced it, and put a line of RTV along the edge of the cone and bolted everything back together...

drove great for a week, but now it is leaking again. Should I replace the seal AGAIN? I can see that it is leaking at exactly the same place as before.... Is there anything else I should be doing?

Hey,

I just redid all my seals on my '87. Rear main, tranny seals, T-Case seals, ect. I pulled the tail cone off, and used a long flathead screwdriver to punch it out. It came out damaged but it was leaking anyways so no problem. Make sure you didn't ding the internal sealing edge on the cone, it's real easy to scratch and ding. Also, when you tap your new seal in make sure it goes in straight, I used a roller bearing from a tractor to tap it in. It was big enough to go around the slip yoke rubber part but small enough to stay on the metal lip of the seal, anyways you get the point. Put some RTV around the internal edge of the cone, or the edge on the seal before you tap it in, so if it did get dinged slightly it will seal it. Check your slip shaft on your driveshaft and look for burrs, could be eating your new seal. I put some t-case oil(usually DEX III ATF fluid for the NP231) on the seal/shaft to grease it up, I don't know if thats a no no, but no leaks so far so I guess it was ok. Dont use alot. Just a bit. Anyways, hope it helps. Good luck!

Is there a vent line from the xfer case that might be plugged?

x2 check the vent hose.

If you take it back apart, try cleaning up the surface where the seal rides on the DS, use something fine like crocus cloth and make sure it is smooth.

If there is a lot of slop and wiggle, the bearing sleeve inside of the tailcone can also be replaced. About $11 as I recall, and I do remember it was a pain to get the old one out.

x2 check the vent hose.

If you take it back apart, try cleaning up the surface where the seal rides on the DS, use something fine like crocus cloth and make sure it is smooth.

where is the vent hose located? I probably just dinged up the edge where the seal sits on the tail cone. I will take it back apart smooth it all out, and add a line of RTV... I will get back to you guys a little later.

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate it.

If you have a 231, front case, driver's side, where the case mounts to the trans.

Back