• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key sticks

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Sometime the key sticks in the ignition. You can turn it on and off with no probs but the key won't pull out of the ign once it's turned off. Is there an adjustment somewhere? Or is my ign junk??

push the shifter handle towards the dash.. when i put mine in park reach up for the key and it doesnt come out, i just reach down and push the shifter forward a little more and it always comes out.. hope that works for ya

If it comes out by doing that, clean your NSS switch under the shifter. If I'm not mistaken, it's what tells the Jeep it's in park when you shut it off, so if it's dirty and not working right, the Jeep doesn't think it's in park and won't release the key.

I think this problem comes from the shift interlock cable and has nothing to do with the NSS. The cable runs up the steering column and will keep the key from releasing, if it is work or out of adjustment. Mine does it from time to time, but a simple wiggle of the shifter takes care of it. It is worse in cold weather.

cherokee89 said:
I think this problem comes from the shift interlock cable and has nothing to do with the NSS. The cable runs up the steering column and will keep the key from releasing, if it is work or out of adjustment. Mine does it from time to time, but a simple wiggle of the shifter takes care of it. It is worse in cold weather.

Ahhh thats right, I forgot about that :dunce:
Thanks for correcting me.

Back