• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power window switches

derek.harris3

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on moving the power window controls from the driver side door to the dash. Should I just cut the wires and splice in more wire to just extend it? Is there anything else I have to do?

Also, is there any way to get rid of the lock/window controls on the other doors.. by connecting wires or something? Because I know that if you remove the switches completely, the windows and locks won't work.

Thanks.

Make year model? I suspect you're working on a earlier 87-90. The later models have the switches on the console, I think.

The local library should have manuals with wiring diagrams, and a trip to the local pick and pull to observe the different wiring could help, too. Basically the older stuff runs from the passenger door, under the carpet to the driver door, and back. With remote locks, two relays are also wired in.

The under carpet wiring can be used at the console or dash with the master control from the driver's side. It will probably have to be spliced to lengthen it. What is also a mod issue is covering the holes in the door panels. Cutting some brushed aluminum plates and contact gluing them over the existing screwed on bezels is one suggestion.

How to cut and splice the wiring underneath is a lot more problematic. Study the diagrams - if you duplicate the logic it should work right the first time.

Back