• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you slide the tranny back?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Ok neither my FSM or shop manual tell you how to drop the transmission very clearly...can anyone provide some insight on what I have to do and what I don't have to do to slide the trasmission back just enough to replace the flex plate?

I also can't find any torque specs for the tranny to block bolts. Do I have to drop the back of the tranny to remove these?

~Scott

I'd say make sure the shifting links are disconnected then un bolt the trans and man handle it back as needed. Make sure it's supported well, thats alot of weight to be placing on the end of the input shaft. May be easier just to drop it completly

Well I'm essentially dropping it, but sliding it back rather then back then down. I have to get the input shaft all the way out.

Any tips on unbolting the tranny-block bolts? They seem super tough.

~Scott

Duh... lol You talking about the bolts used to hold the tranny to the engine?

Duh... lol You talking about the bolts used to hold the tranny to the engine?

Yeah can you tell I've never dropped a tranny before? And yes.

~Scott

Just support the trans, unbolt the ones you can get to, drop the crossmember and lower the rear of the tranny. This will tilt the whole motor and trans down far enough so that you can reach the top bolts on the tranny.

Just support the trans, unbolt the ones you can get to, drop the crossmember and lower the rear of the tranny. This will tilt the whole motor and trans down far enough so that you can reach the top bolts on the tranny.

Once you get it tilted like this and are attacking the bellhousing-to-block bolts put a jack under the back of the engine oil pan for support so the the bolts or shafts don't bind.

Well I'm essentially dropping it, but sliding it back rather then back then down. I have to get the input shaft all the way out.

Any tips on unbolting the tranny-block bolts? They seem super tough.

~Scott

lots of socket extensions

Make sure you get all the bolts, I removed mine today and one little blot was hidden in the grease. Luckily I had my replacement tranny right there to see what all holes I had haha.

yeah, i always forget the inspection plate bolts in-between the 2 engine mount bolts. usually the one on the drivers side. thank god the didn't use the top center bolt to hold this trans on.

Good info guys, thanks!

After seeing how much work is involved, I'm going to try and hold off working on the tranny for a few weeks. Further inspection of my flex plate revealed nothing all that bad, so I believe my starter was having troubles lining up...so I'm going to attempt to fix that.

~Scott

Back