• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack mounting

AllmeXJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a clean/stong way to mount a roof rack on these cherokees?

I baught a base model with no factroy rack, am i f%$&ed?

I kinda dont wanna drill the roof i would wrathher have a clean yet strong gutter mount.

I would like to have my spare up there asweel as maybe some light camping stuff ice chest etc.

II have searched but still couldint come to a conclusion.

The surco racks look strong enough for what im asking but i dont see mounts, and even if there are, are they stroing enough? Can i double up on each side or something.

Thanks in advacne.

PS. the gobi racks look sick!

Gutter mounts will work just fine. I have 3 on each side of my rack, and have had several hundred pounds up there while camping.

~James

yeah thats what i want, but i dont see any that come with them or sell them seprate. And which rack companys have gutter mounts for our cherokees.

Like i said the surco is cheap and looks good, Do they have gutter mounts for that rack? Can i run 3 or four per side?

Links would be nice, i was on there site and itse anything.

yeah thats what i want, but i dont see any that come with them or sell them seprate. And which rack companys have gutter mounts for our cherokees.

Like i said the surco is cheap and looks good, Do they have gutter mounts for that rack? Can i run 3 or four per side?

Links would be nice, i was on there site and itse anything.

I have a surco rack and it has an option for gutter mounts Mine has 2 per side but I haven't loaded it down yet. The Olympic racks also come with gutter mounts

You can put as many gutter mounts on it as you want. They get pricey though. They are mostly universal, so they wont say they are for the XJ. I made my own after looking at the prices of them. They are fairly easy to make if you have the tools.

~James

No, I meant the crossbars on the surco rack.

I think the really enormous surcos, like 75-80", get a third crossbar, but anything you'd put on an XJ only has two.

And those crossbars are the only place to attach the gutter mounts to the rack.

(Rereading it today, though, I guess Stump ws talking about racks in general, not necessarily the surco in particular.)

Robert

when i switched my surco over to the new jeep, i needed to go to gutter rail mounts, surco wanted me to go to wider crossbars. Make sure you let them know what you plan to do. they are very helpful.

Yeah, I am just refering to racks and mounts in general. I made my own rack and mounts, so I have no idea what the surco calls for.

~James

Back