• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drag link/pitman arm pop

SeansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
well i have located my occasional pop sound coming from the steering. sometimes it only on left or right turns and sometimes not at all, i can hear a faint pop and feel it in the floorboard. everything is tight. i had my buddy turn the wheel while i was under there and its coming from the pitman arm/draglink where they meet. what would cause this? and yes i did search as always, just did'nt see anything on this subject.

'90 stock steering, 4.5" RE front with SF lower arms

thanks in advance!
Sean

Last edited:
All I see is that you have a 1990 XJ.
Why do you think you may have a problem?
Have you hit anything that may cause a problem?
Have you done any modifications other than stock to your front end?
Do you have a Lift? If so, how tall?

Need more info to help you out.

i had that in there, not sure where it went.

fixed it

stock steering with 4.5" RE coils and SF lca on 33s

its not that i think i have a problem, just don't like my steering making noises and with my trip to the Rubicon coming in 2 weeks i want to get this "problem" fixed. i have read that you gotta get used to the noises from the steering but in my 7 years of owning 2 XJs i have never had a problem with the stock steering with a lift and tires. so im just new to this, gotta learn sometime.

Last edited:
im just going to tear into the steering tommorow and see whats goin on. figured i would post to get some ideas.

the ball socket in the TRE on the drag link can get vertical play and allow the stud to move up/ down in it's TRE which will give you a "pop" sometimes and not other times.

grease the crap outta only that joint and see if it shuts up for a couple days (it will come back) to confirm it's the problem-- I'd just change it if there's any movement, but I'm kinda freaky that way.

the ball socket/joint is in the TRE at the end of the stud. TRE stands for tie rod end
Land_Range_Rover_Discovery_Tie_Rod_End_RTC5869_C.jpg

Thanks. I suspect my ball joint from the track control bar is popping.
Is that possible? It is the one on the left main beam.
All the bolts are very tight, but it is still making a popping noise, when turning sharp left in combination with compression of the suspension. :dunno:

'92 XJ

Last edited:
x2 check the TRE/Track bar end.

Could be the angle created with the lift and stock pitman arm.

I am having the same issue.

Jeep specs:
3" rustys coils
Add a leaf
Stock upper/lower control arms
New stock track bar
New ball joints
New tie rod ends
New steering stabilizer

Any help?

Hallo Twisted Dakota. I think Joe Peters idea to mount a drop pitman arm is the cheapest and most clear solution.
The stress on the ball joints will go away and every bar will be located in his original position.
Why did you take a new stock track bar instead an adjustable one? :wave:

just be careful with the drop pitman arm. You want your drag link and track bar parallel when you're done. If you drop one side of the drag link, you may need to alter the mount for the track bar to regain parallelism.

check to make sure the bolts for the tb bracket to frame are tight

just be careful with the drop pitman arm. You want your drag link and track bar parallel when you're done. If you drop one side of the drag link, you may need to alter the mount for the track bar to regain parallelism.[/QUOTE

OK I do understand sofar, but when I drop the trac bar mount too.
Everything is like it was before the lift. (My lift is only 2 ")

'92 XJ

p.s bolts are tight ROB. thanks

Last edited:
Hallo Twisted Dakota. I think Joe Peters idea to mount a drop pitman arm is the cheapest and most clear solution.
The stress on the ball joints will go away and every bar will be located in his original position.
Why did you take a new stock track bar instead an adjustable one? :wave:

because it was cheap. the new lift will be ordered in a few days.

Back