• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there any chance a 96 8.25 is 29 spline

Kevinma255

NAXJA Forum User
I am considering purchasing an axle from somone on the forum. They are saying it is a 8.25 from a 1996 XJ with 29 spline axles. All the posts claim 97 is the year they went to 29. thanks.

Supposedly it's a better chance if it was built 5/96 or newer(don't know where I picked that up from). The sure bet is opening her up and counting and spend the 5$ for the rtv and $10-25 on the gear oil and knowing exactly what you have and that the oil won't need to be changed for a while.

I got one out of a 12/96 it was 29 spline. gardon is right though thats the best way to find out.

Is there an ID on the diff that says its 29 spline? Cause I don't plan on opening up my diff after a fluid change about 3 months ago. Is there any other way?

Is there an ID on the diff that says its 29 spline? Cause I don't plan on opening up my diff after a fluid change about 3 months ago. Is there any other way?

There was a tag placed on the drivers side axle tube between the spring and brake drum,It had a series of number codes that could be taken to the dealer and the dealer could tell what axle was needed for stock replacement.

I bet the tag is gone (as well as your Jeep dealer)---
Open it up and count--

Wayne

being it is a 2+ hour drive out there, I am going to call the guy and tell him I am not coming. He told me that a shaft had been replaced with one from a 2000 so he is probably telling me the truth, but to drive 2 hours, open it up, curse at the guy, and drive home, it is just not worth the risk. After an axle shaft fell out of the front end of my "new" pickup I am not in a trusting mood.

Thanks for the replies everyone and if you are closer to the intersection of 80/81 in pa and want an axle check the northatlantic clasified section and get in touch with the guy.

Back