• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Maintenence Advice: 2000 4.0 w/90k

Audnorge

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought my second XJ, sold my 84 several years back. It's a 2000 Sport 4.0 Auto 4wd. I got it very cheap as it was a Salvage Rebuild.... half of Kelley blue book value. The rebuilder actually showed me pics of the before and after....it had been stolen and dunked in a river. No big deal I thought, as I plan on doing the same!

Other than short AALs in the back (which have already kinked the leafs!) and poly spacers up front, it seems to be stock. I already ordered OME 2 inch springs and bushings for the rear. All the carpet and fabrics have been changed as part of the rebuild, as well as one fender, grill, paint, etc.

My questions involve the Engine and drivetrain.

Other than removing all the fluids, flushing and replacing, what else should I do?

I plan on changing the serpentine, looks like the cooling hoses and radiator are all new. Should the Timing Chain and Water Pump be addressed?

What's best for plugs and wires? I understand the 2000 is distributorless, whatever that means. Any other items need servicing?

One more thing....no dash or console lights. Fuses are ok. Something wrong somewhere. Also, the pass taillight won't light and new bulb doesn't do it. I suspect the socket but cannot find a replacement scoket....are these the same as Ford sockets?

thanks for any and all advice on making my 'new' XJ last for many more years!

Plugs and wires from Napa will do, but dealership is best. I'd make sure it has new coolant and distilled water 50-50 mix, and new transmission fluid. That should be good for now, maybe a new fuel and air filter also.

Michaelarchangelo said:
The big thing that worried me in your post was that it was "dunked into a river". Did the whole thing go under?

Well, maybe Michael.......I've pulled the door and cargo area panels and found some fine dirt and sediment in the rear doors and cargo area. Don't see any evidence of it under the dash or in the front doors. You can tell pretty easily...the soundproofing insulation in there is distinctly grungy in the rear, but clean and fresh up front. I just yanked it out and discarded it. I plan on flushing out the axles and transfer case anyway, have already done the same on the engine and trans.

Being from New Orleans my first 33 years, the fear of a 'fully submerged' vehicle doesn't scare me off as maybe it should.....been there and done that at least five or six times..my Dad has a Surburban that's been flooded up to the windsheild at least four times and it's still rolling :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Distributorless meaning no plug wires...just spark plugs and coil packs....more modern design...but IMO, I kinda like the distributor set up. So you have no idea how much of the Jeep was actually submerged? Any idea of how much of the engine was dunked? I don't know if it would be wise to change out the coils too while you're at it...

edit: Forgot it was a 2000. Before doing anything serious to it, first thing I would check it to make sure the head isn't cracked....very common on the 2000+ XJ's as chrysler switched to a different type (cheaper quality) of head and they are very prone to cracking....especially if it's been even slightly overheated. To check, simply pull the oil cap off and shine a flashlight down inside. They tend to crack right around cylinder's 3 and 4...and it's clearly visible when the oil cap is off...should appear sort of crusty if there is a crack.

Last edited:
Back