• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel interupptor mod

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have been considering getting a snorkel in the past few weeks but I keep getting worried that It will rob my XJ of performance. I thought of a possible solution. Modding the kit with a pvc 3" t connected to a 3" ball valve. This way when the ball valve is opened it will have both the airflow from the snorkel and basically what the stock airflow was combined. When you go mudding, you simply close the valve and revert back to complete snorkle power.

The schematic is from safari snorkels website... the area in red is where this setup could go

The second is what would be put in there with simple hose clamps and likely some sealant of some sort

http://img401.imageshack.us/i/snorkel.jpg/

hope the pics work

I had always figured I had a small performance gain or at least a dirrect wash with the ram air effect you get from the snorkel. I didn't notice any "loss" when I installed mine. You do get a pretty cool intake roar from it at higher RPMs though. Looking at you picture, There is space where you have it located, The cast 90 deg elbow pretty much runs through the structure and this puts you right below the unibody behind the bumper. The only down side is that this puts it right in the path of whell well spray.

Last edited:
who knows.... was bored in school and had a CAD equipped computer in front of me with no work to do =)

Has anyone seen a performance increase or decrease after installing their snorkel; this thing might be totally useless for all i know

What makes you think that a snorkle will hurt your performance?

I've got a Safari Snorkle and it breathes just fine if you keep the filter clean.

Seems like you're planning a lot of work/fabbing for a non-existent problem.

...just my 1.5 cents.

Seems like you're planning a lot of work/fabbing for a non-existent problem.

...just my 1.5 cents.

exactly why I posted it here first...

seems like my problem doesnt exist. Just felt that the increased distance the air needs to travel and the filters at the head would cause some sort of air restriction at DD speeds....

but thats just me thinking cause I have nothing to do rite now.

Am i wrong?

exactly why I posted it here first...

seems like my problem doesnt exist. Just felt that the increased distance the air needs to travel and the filters at the head would cause some sort of air restriction at DD speeds....

but thats just me thinking cause I have nothing to do rite now.

Am i wrong?

I think that the cold ram air effect helps performance rather then hinders it. I've never heard anyone say that they saw a loss of power after installing one. I'm sure others with snorkles will chime in with their experiences.

Last edited:
Its cool you have access to a CAD program. My first 2year degree was in engineering graphics and I worked my first 2 1/2 years at Boeing as a tech designer. Great career, I got to design some airducting and stuff on the 777. I build them now, got layed off and came back as an electrician but the skills I picked up creating the drawings and models really pays off.

Yeah I'm actually still in highschool but I learned a CAD program my freshman year (autodesk inventor... its basically 3D cad) and I just love it. I use it all the time now that I have a copy on my home pc. Its just the freedom to put your thoughts into a computer and come out with a working model.

A.K.A. I like cad and hope to pursue higher levels of engineering later on in college

Thats how I got my start. Back when I was in hight school I think it was autoCAD 14 and autoCAD 2000 in college. Used CATIA at Boeing. One of the coolest experinces I have had was designing and 3d modeling a composite airduct run in CATIA and 3 weeks later having the fabbed ducts sitting in person on my desk. Even now 8 years later I will run across a drawing with my name on it and thats pretty cool.
Good luck to you in where ever you decide to go in the engineering fields though.

Back