• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seat belts lock up or no?

xjwanted

NAXJA Forum User
the 98 xj i have the seat belts dont lock up is that supposed to happen or where these designed to lock only when you hit something, or apply haevy brake?
im confused basically are the y supposed to lock up or not? and if so under what situation?

They lock up when you go over a certain angle too, not sure what degrees but I guess it's a good setting because I have always appreciated it when it happens.

The ones on my 2001 XJ locks when I'm slowing my jeep down. I Do not know why But car maker no longer make seat belts lock if/when you yank on them real fast anymore I would think it would be safer. But I do not design cars.

xjwanted
apply heavy brake?

They should lock when your just slowing down. Like when your stopping at a stop sign. Not Just under heavy brake.
Maybe a cool upgrade to install older seat belts into newer jeep LOL

The ones on my 2001 XJ locks when I'm slowing my jeep down. I Do not know why But car maker no longer make seat belts lock if/when you yank on them real fast anymore I would think it would be safer. But I do not design cars.

They no longer have inertial tensioners because they use electronic ones now that are faster, safer, and arguably more reliable.

My '92's belts will lock, but it takes a very fast, very sharp pull to get them to do it. I've never experienced it while driving, even with sharp stops.

i can remember when i was a kid, my dad would throw himself forward in the seat and try to get the (new back then) inertia type seat belt to lock up, it never would no matter how fast he tried to do it! You need to pull hard and QUICK as you can and concentrate that speed in the first few inches! It should lock.

So they say. The advantage of the new electronic seatbelt tensioners is they don't just lock, they actually pull the passenger back into the seat. They're typically wired as part of the air bag system, so that when a crash is detected, the passenger is pulled into the seat as tightly as possible, which is the most safe position to experience a wreck.

i can see how its safer, but time will tell if its more reliable i guess. Cant help but get a faint aroma of cash though! Something to go wrong, something to charge to fix!

If you have the inertia type lockup, and it is not "locking" to your satisfaction, the mounting bolt may not have sufficient torque.

Quick fix for inertia lockup belts that would "lock" too quickly was to loosen the mounting bolt slightly.

Back