• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know specific WA mudflap law?

squidd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

Driving through Monroe with my wife this evening 1 AM or so (I work second shift so this is our "normal" time to do stuff) and got pulled over by a Monroe police officer for not having mud flaps. Kinda figure he just wanted to run the plates and give me the once over but it shook the wife up a bit. Gave me a warning but not the most helpful officer I have delt with. Just sort of got the you've raised that thing, need to have mud flaps. I replied didn't know I needed them and he answered of course, your gonna throw a rock through someones windsheild. Just wondering what the actual spec is, never seen a whole lot of XJ's with them on. How many of you guys have them and how do you mount them so they don't look stupid? Thanks.:dunno:

Last edited:
Tire tread from center line of the axle up needs to be covered.

If you have a trailer hitch you can put tubes into the ends of it and put your flaps on it. Mine is fancy with set screws so they slide out at the trailhead if I want.

237726239_y8wqz-L-6.jpg

Hey,

Driving through Monroe with my wife this evening 1 AM or so (I work second shift so this is our "normal" time to do stuff) and got pulled over by a Monroe police officer for not having mud flaps. Kinda figure he just wanted to run the plates and give me the once over but it shook the wife up a bit. Gave me a warning but not the most helpful officer I have delt with. Just sort of got the you've raised that thing, need to have mud flaps. I replied didn't know I needed them and he answered of course, your gonna throw a rock through someones windsheild. Just wondering what the actual spec is, never seen a whole lot of XJ's with them on. How many of you guys have them and how do you mount them so they don't look stupid? Thanks.:dunno:

He probably didn't know the RCW or the actual wording of the law. Thats most likely why you didn't get the ticket. Ive found most cops don't know the actual law they just automatically see a lifted rig and assume you need mud flaps.

Here is the WA RCW.

I mounted mine to the side guards I built into the bumper. I attached them using door hinges and removable pins so I can take them off for the trail.
IMG_9713.jpg

IMG_9703.jpg

Willy

I've been pulled over twice for mud flaps as-well, no tickets. I think mud flaps, or lack their of, is a slippery slope when it comes to probable cause for a stop. Mud flaps are required equipment according to RCW 46.37.500 but in my experience interpreted differently depending on the jurisdiction. Yes your breaking the law but is it probable cause to pull you over when 90% of vehicles driven off the showroom floor aren't in compliance? For example: talking on the phone without a hands free kit isn't probable cause for a stop.

Its my understanding probable cause is determined by case law, is this right?

I have mine attached to the rear cross member where the old lower quarters would have been. They're not the quickest release, but they work well. NAPA had them for ~$10 each, and they go to the axle center line.

IMG_0024.jpg

I've pondered the idea of taking two basic floor mats from schuck's (like $2 each) and attaching some heavy metal to the top and bottom so they don't blow around like crazy and mount them on a quick release set up...I'll do it when I do a quarter panel fold and build a bumper. For now I just have stock flaps I drilled a hole in the quarter panel for and bolted them in. The don't go down to the center of the axle, but they are close...about an inch or two off.

~Scott

Looks like I will be having to use the hitch tubes like Ecksjay recamended as I still have the stock rear bumper and unfolded rear quarters. We were joking on the way home that I should rattle can a couple of squares of carboard black and hang those off the bumped with zip ties everytime I go through Monroe. Would work great if it didn't rain.

The weird thing about I find reading the RCW code is that they don't take any of the verhicle geometry into account in the wording of the law. Obviously the further from the rear of the vehicle the axle centerline sits, the higher the fender or mudflap could be to provide the same protection from water spray. Somthing like a TJ would be more likely to launch somthing that sould make it up onto another car than our rigs since we do overhang a bit more.
I kinda think the officer was fishing when he pulled us over, he was more concered with the license and insurance card than any sort of education about not having mud flaps. Probly ticked him off with me having a clean driving record and such. :)

I hung mine right off of the bumper looks a little silly. A complete mockery to that asshole cop who tried to school me on the issue. haha they flap around like supermans cape, yeah its super jeep.

If you start looking around. In addition to SUV's and trucks, I have found a few factory height cars that are not legal.

Got pulled over for the same thing within two weeks of lifting the XJ. It's a "real" violation, not universally enforced. The thing is, when you lift your rig and drive it around on the street, you attract attention. Some of that attention is negative, so you'd better take steps to get yourself within reasonable compliance with the law. My flaps are maybe 1" from not reaching the exact centerline of the rear tires, but I haven't been pulled over for them. Been stopped once since I installed them (for driving "too slow", 53 in a 60. Mixed snow/rain coming over Stevens' Pass in February, WSP officer said I was "impeding traffic". He gave the rig a quick once-over, checked the usual license/registration/insurance stuff and sent me on my way)

Put some flaps on your rig. Cheap insurance to help avoid "hassle stops", so to speak.

I think I'm gonna do what ECKSJAY did and make hitch extentions to hang the mudflaps off of.

Back to the list of Pre-NWFest stuff to do...

Eric'
Jeep with stuff.

I got a ticket for that too. I think I put pictures of my install in the "$535 ticket" thread on this board. I used a company called trail flap and got their removable system. Its a good local company.

Back