• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Elec fan blade

4byfour

NAXJA Forum User
I have a blade that has broken off the electric fan. Can the blane ONLY be purchased/replaced ?
Does the whole fan unit need to come out to do so ??
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!

No each blade cannot be purchased to be replaced since the fan itself is a whole plastic piece. Just replace the fan with a fan from any year XJ and its will work the only thing that changed from year to year is the connector so just cut the one off yours and splice it into the wiring on the new one.

it's not hard at all there are two small screws at the top two corners and the bottom are just tabs that sit in some slots so when u take the screws out just pull up on it and it will come out.

You should look for a later year fan if possible- the earlier years used a different blade configuration, while the later years (96 or 97+?) used a 10 blade setup which is supposed to move more air. If you hunt around (ebay, Jeep classifieds, Craigslist, etc) you might be able to find just a blade, or blade/motor assembly. Shop around a bit if you buy a new fan- the prices vary wildly from store to store.

Does the metal piece that covers the top of the radiator have to be removed? this is a 2000 inline 6 and there is barly an inch or so between fan blade and pulleys.

IMG00112_20090508_1526_800x600.sized.jpg

This pic says it all. The left is a pre 97 fan and the right is a 97+ fan. The plugs are different, and from what I've read the 97+ flow more air. When I got my jeep, somebody had replaced the e fan with an older style. I replaced it with the correct fan. I noticed that the 97+ fan is quieter & I suspect the blade design allows for more airflow even when it is not running, as my temps dropped slightly after the swap.

Back