• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So Cal tire opinions.

JESSE A

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to decide on tires, im going to be going from 33s to 35s very soon and wondering what brand you would prefer, bfg km2s or the old good year mtrs (I found some used ones). Its going to be a DD/ trail rig.

I do most of my wheeling in JV, Big Bear, Calico, that type on terrain, any input is welcome other brands ect,ect.....thanks

jesse

Thanks santa, we already talked about it but im looking for some rims and tires that are a little different (newer/more thread), maybe one of his for a spare if he would be willing to split them:)

you might be able to pick up bfgkms on discount because of the new model. i bought my 33's that way.

BFG > MTR

Myself I'm NOT a MTR fan... never could get them to find the bottom in sand... all had plugs within 6 months... lost all but a few inches of the inner & outer side walls on one at freeway speed. :scared:
Been happy with 3 sets of BFG MTs... they've had a need for some plugs too.
I'm sure others would say the opposite... like the G.Y.s better.
Not sure if I'll go with the new BFGs or something else... maybe Mick. Th. MTZs ??

Not an easy choice...

Curt

I'm not too sure there is a tire out there that will handle JV without some chunking. I got a great deal on my Maxxis Big Horns (thanks to ZJMikey!)
and love them, but they do leave rubber on the trail. No sidewall problems (as many have noted with the Goodyears.)

I like the new BFG Crawlers, but aren't they kinda' pricey?

After seeing Rick abuse his big horns continually, and also seeing how well they perform.... my vote (even though its not a BFG or MTR) would be Maxxis Bighorns.

After seeing Rick abuse his big horns continually, and also seeing how well they perform.... my vote (even though its not a BFG or MTR) would be Maxxis Bighorns.

ill check them out, but i think that the km2s are cheaper right now.:eeks1:

Never had a flat or any other problem with two sets of Creepys but I don't no about using them on a DD but MJR is on his second set of 35's and he puts lots of pavement as well as offroad miles on them and he loves them......SANTA

BFGs can't hold up to a BOTW trip. (n) They cut all day long off road but they have great road characteristics.

MTRs and Creepys do spectacular in the tough rocky stuff. :thumbup:

MTRs are INCREDIBLE on the freeway unbalanced at 80 MPH. Probably one of the best balanced tires (offroad) even made.

Creepys are the most durable out there but not the best on the road as a DD. (they are a bias ply and not a radial).

I have yet to experience the Big Horns but if Maxxis put the same love into them they put into the Creepys, then they are probably pretty good.

I am running 35" Maxxis Bighorns and it is also my daily driver. They have been heavily abused on the trail and have been driven all over the so cal freeways and have done great. They are also a little cheaper than the BFGs and the MTRs. The only draw back is their longevity. They have worn out faster than I had hoped for. Good luck on your decision.

I am running 35" Maxxis Bighorns and it is also my daily driver. They have been heavily abused on the trail and have been driven all over the so cal freeways and have done great. They are also a little cheaper than the BFGs and the MTRs. The only draw back is their longevity. They have worn out faster than I had hoped for. Good luck on your decision.

Thank you .....where are you guys finding the prices for the maxxis big horns, i can not find them cheaper than bfg km2s

MTR > Bighorn > swamper > bare wheels > bfg

:dunce::twak:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I LOVE BFG's but I'm not a crawler. My Baja's wouldn't get cut sidewalls but they don't flex either. I can run 10psi on the street in my heavy pig bronco and not know they are low on air.

Back