• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rocky road rock rails fitment for XJ???

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a set of rocky road rock rails brand new still in the box from a guy in a jeep club. he said they were for an XJ, so i bought them for mine.

well i believe they might be for a liberty and not an XJ, cuz no matter which side i hold them up to, they don't line up. if i line up the pinch seam, then one of the legs doesn't even touch the frame. and if i line them up with the frame, then they don't line up with the pinch seam.

so i was wondering if anybody has a set of rocky road rock rails on their XJ or laying around, and could give me some measurements so i can compare them to mine. or if anybody else has any way of identifying the XJ rails.

thanks.

It might be a pre96/post96 issue. Call them.

i was thinking about that, but on their website they don't have a year difference for their XJ rock rails.

but for some of their other parts and other vehicles, they don list different year changes if they have it. so i figured there wasn't a difference in the XJ year.

i'll give them a call first thing in the morning, but i was just so excited. i've been waiting on these for a few weeks now, and now they are probably the wrong ones. :(

scorpio_vette said:
i just bought a set of rocky road rock rails brand new still in the box from a guy in a jeep club. he said they were for an XJ, so i bought them for mine.

well i believe they might be for a liberty and not an XJ, cuz no matter which side i hold them up to, they don't line up. if i line up the pinch seam, then one of the legs doesn't even touch the frame. and if i line them up with the frame, then they don't line up with the pinch seam.

so i was wondering if anybody has a set of rocky road rock rails on their XJ or laying around, and could give me some measurements so i can compare them to mine. or if anybody else has any way of identifying the XJ rails.

thanks.
if you dont figure it otu by tomorrow pm me and i'll get you some measurements.

If you still need someone to measure, hit me up, I can do it tonight. Depending on how much you spent on them, I would leave them in the box! I am not very happy with mine. Hoping to take them off this winter and beaf them up.

i'm going to call rocky road today as soon as they open and see what they come up with.

i did some more searching online, and found more little hints that point to them being for a liberty. apparently the XJ uses 5 bolts on the pinch seam, and the liberty uses 4 bolts on the pinch seam. the rock rails i have only use 4 bolts.

CAZS_98: why don't you like them??? i was originially thinking about buying those anyways since they seemed to be some of the nicest built ones around, and then i happened to run across this deal. which parts are you thinking about beefing up???

well i called rocky road, and they identified them as being for an 02-04 liberty.

the liberty uses 4 bolts at the pinch seam, and the cherokee uses 5 bolts at the pinch seam. that's the first identification he mentioned, and so i stoped there.

that and the fact that no matter how i hold them up to the XJ, they don't fit.

now i gotta sell these so i can get my money back and buy a set of XJ sliders. :(

I don't like the way they bolt up to the XJ. If you use them as a jack point, they bend upwards and actually rub the rocker panel. The first time I came down on a rock, I dented my panel. I was not very happy to say the least. Now they are beefy, just don't like how they mount. If I was to do it over, I go with someone else.

mine suck. they have held up but tyhe mounting is weak and they are bent

have you guys talked to rocky road to get them warrantied or something???

they do brag on their site about how they "overbuild" them so they don't break and don't have to be replaced all the time. just curious.

As soon as I bought mine i started complaining. The rails them self hold up, it is just that they have vertical movement because the way they mount. They said it is not their issue and they have had no other complaints. I personally wont buy anything else from them.

i have heard about these rails bending before and seem some pics of some signifigant damage from them pushing about 2-3 in into the body. I am glad I didn't buy them. I bought a set from proto fab http://www.protofab4x4.com although I just go them recently and have not had the chance to test them out (will post pics when I do) and they were really helpfull when I called with any questions. they do come unpainted but I used some spray bedlined and they look great. They have some good pictures on their site. good luck!

i just looked at the link you gave me for protofab, and those seem even worse. according to their site, they only bolt onto the pinch seam and nothing else. somehow i would feel more comfortable if they had some kind of frame mounted support and just use the pinch seam for alignment or something.

guess i'll just have to keep looking and doing research.

scorpio_vette said:
i just looked at the link you gave me for protofab, and those seem even worse. according to their site, they only bolt onto the pinch seam and nothing else. somehow i would feel more comfortable if they had some kind of frame mounted support and just use the pinch seam for alignment or something.

guess i'll just have to keep looking and doing research.

Doesn't look like it here

xrockerguard06.jpg

Cheers
Steve

aaahhh.......my bad......when i was reading the description, they didn't mention anything about that. they only mentioned the pinch seam mount (unless i overlooked that part while reading too. LOL)

so i didn't even scroll down to look at the pics.

hey teamdescent......how much did you pay for them....on the site it says to call for price. i'm just looking for a ballpark.

teamdescent said:
i have heard about these rails bending before and seem some pics of some signifigant damage from them pushing about 2-3 in into the body.

I doubt those are Rocky Roads rails you're thinking of. I love mine. They are very solid.

I have a set, and they are very solid. The problem is the mount at the unibody rails: it doesn't hold the arms in place if you drop hard onto a rock. That may be because the self tapping bolts used come a little loose (one of mine fell out), or it may be that there just isn't enough bracing to keep them from rotating down when the rail takes a strong upward hit (uses the pinch seam mount as a fulcrum). Eric Zappe had his roll up and smash the quarter panel. You can see it on his site. He's added some additional mounting points and tied it into the bottom of the rail since then, and it seems stout.
Don't worry about the Protofab rails coming unfinnished. The powder coat on mine started failing within a year, and looks like slapped ass now. I'm about to haul mine off,strip it down, attach some better mounts, and rattle can it. Easily touched up with canned paint.
Here's the link to Eric's site. In the list of goodies in the right hand column check out shot #3 by the Rocky Road step rails:

http://www.ericsxj.com/

passxj said:
I doubt those are Rocky Roads rails you're thinking of. I love mine. They are very solid.
definetly theres, i've got 4 dents right above each arm from where they moved. just matches the rest of it though. once i sleeve the rails they will be welded in place.

Ramsey said:
definetly theres, i've got 4 dents right above each arm from where they moved. just matches the rest of it though. once i sleeve the rails they will be welded in place.

This sounds like a different design than mine....or I'm confused.(entirely possible)

2006_0512005.jpg

do yours look like this?

Back