• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'86 Comanche Renix TBI 4 cyl prob

carnuck

NAXJA Forum User
When cold, it only starts with a push. New battery, new starter, new CPS and it still won't start cold without a bump (even jumpers won't do it) 320,000 miles on it (original motor with some blowby) but it runs perfect once push started and will start fine till it's dead cold (under 65 degrees).

With that many miles, your compression may be quite low and it needs to spin faster to start. Try a squirt of starting fluid in the intake to help. Do a compression test. You can rent/borrow one from Autozone, you just have to leave a deposit. I think the tool can be bought at HF for around $15

old_man said:
With that many miles, your compression may be quite low and it needs to spin faster to start. Try a squirt of starting fluid in the intake to help. Do a compression test. You can rent/borrow one from Autozone, you just have to leave a deposit. I think the tool can be bought at HF for around $15

First thing I thought of was compression too. 140 across the board still (I run Delo 15W40) This thing was sudden. One morning it wouldn't catch although it kept offering to go. Need to get in and check spark and fuel pressure (none of my helpers are at home anymore)
PS: After 30 years as a mechanic, I have a collection of tools (just not as many as I had before my 3 sons hit their teens/twenties)

Back