• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heated mirrors on 89 XJ?

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm picking up my 89 XJ on Wednesday, and one thing I would like to do over the summer is swap the side mirrors to 97+ heated units. I would like the foldability, and I would really like having the heated mirrors before winter. I realized this winter driving my parent's Explorer how much I missed the heated mirrors on my Cougar when we get ice/snow, and would really like them before this winter.

How hard is it to swap these over and get them working? My 89 XJ has power mirrors already. If its fairly simple wiring, I can take care of that, but if I need some sort of harness I need to find it in a junkyard probably. I searched and didn't really come up with anything about adding the heated part. And I also apologize if this is supposed to be in "Modified Tech", I thought since it was an OEM application it would fit better here? Thanks for any help you guys can give, it would be very much appreciated!

Bump? Anyone?

I did the swap over the winter, except mine aren't heated. If you're using a newer style switch, pins 1 and 3 are the power in for the motors, 2 and 4 are grounds for the motor. Pin 5 is power in for the heaters and 6 is ground.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=927346&highlight=mirror+wiring

I used this thread when I did mine. The pictures of the wiring diagram don't work anymore, but you could probably PM the guy that posted it and have him send it to you.

Seems like it will be hard to find the heated mirrors. My 2000 doesn't have 'em. Just run your own wires. Hard part will be getting them through the door grommet.
I find them every once and a while at the junkyard. just picked up a spare drivers side last time, $12 :greensmok

Back