• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp Gauge Not Working

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
My temp gauge stopped working a while ago. I have replaced the sensor at the back of the head, checked all of the fuses under the dash & in the engine compartment, and even tried a different temp gauge in the gauge cluster (I have not replaced the entire gauge cluster). Any other ideas of what would cause the temp gauge not to work? Rarely, once or twice, after it stopped working, it would surge up and then back down.

No input huh? I was under the impression that the sensor at the back of the head ran the gauge in the dash, and the one in the thermostat housing was just used by the computer to adjust the engine. Is the front one in fact part of what the dash gauge displays? I suppose I could look for melted wires in the engine compartment as well, but haven't noticed any to this point.

I had the exact same issue with my 1996, I did all of the things that you said also. My issue turned out to be the wrong sensor. I purchased mine at Auto Zone at first and they only have the sensor for the gauge cluster without the temp gauge (just a light).

You will either need to purchase direct from the dealer (OEM # 56027012), or from a retail auto store like Napa Auto Parts. Make sure you have the sensor for "gauge", not "light".

Also what I learned from my ordeal is that the temp level sensors are color coded; black connector is for cluster with light, white connector is for cluster with gauge.

Good luck

-At the Temperature sender-disconnect from sender, ign on, gauge should go to low end of scale. Short connector to Ground -Gauge should go to high end of scale. (Tests harness/gauge direction) (oh, Turn Off ign or battery is tested-lol)

Thank You Very Much! -GISTECKNICIAN- for tip about black/white connectors. "Its them simple little things ya gotta watch for!"

Good Luck,
O

I had the exact same issue with my 1996, I did all of the things that you said also. My issue turned out to be the wrong sensor. I purchased mine at Auto Zone at first and they only have the sensor for the gauge cluster without the temp gauge (just a light).

You will either need to purchase direct from the dealer (OEM # 56027012), or from a retail auto store like Napa Auto Parts. Make sure you have the sensor for "gauge", not "light".

Also what I learned from my ordeal is that the temp level sensors are color coded; black connector is for cluster with light, white connector is for cluster with gauge.

Good luck

This sounds like it may be the answer. I have an MJ with a working gauge, and a '93 XJ with the non-working gauge. I just checked and the '88 has a white sensor, and the '93 has a black one. Ironic thing is that I bought them both from AutoZone IIRC. Oh well, I'll try a white one from Napa tomorrow. Thx for the tip!

Checker/O'Reilly #TS82771 works also. This fixed it for me.

Back