• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny or clutch?

XJeeper87

NAXJA Forum User
either my tranny or my clutch is making a metal against metal noise.
but when i depress the clutch pedal it stops any thoughts? i did go threw some water last weekend maybe rust on clutch??? and it seems to not have a proper amount of power.
like in second between 1,000 rpm and 2,000 rpm it accelerates slowly but wen it hits 2,100 it picks up all of the sudden and it isnt the motor it runs fine and the rpm's dont change wne it picks up

Does it do it in all gears? If you just lightly touch the clutch pedal (clutch still engaged) does the noise go away? And are you saying that it picks up speed without the RPM's changing?

The throw-out bearing and maybe input shaft got rusted. As for the power issue--how high water did you go through? Could water have splashed up on coil, distributor, wires?

the water wasnt very deep not even above tires but i did spash threw it. no it picks up speed with little change in rpms
like 2,000 rpm it is going say 35 mph hit 2,100 and it could jump to 40mph pretty quick and like i said engine is fine. it seems to do it in most gears just most noticable in 2nd and 3rd. i doubt it has anything to do with it but 4th gear synchronizer is going out

ba-10: So maybe it is the clutch slipping on the flywheel making the noise and then once it hits 2K+ the clutch grabs better. Either way you'll have to drop the tranny and remove the clutch to take a look at the flywheel.

Last edited:
One clutch test is to put it in 5th while doing slower speeds(30-40) so it's below 2K and then try to accelerate.

Your throwout bearing is getting ready to quit on you and it is an internal type of hydralic bearing. You need to drop the tranny to replace it. So be prepared to replace it all while in there. Clutch disc and pressure plate. Inspect the flywheel and resurface if needed.

Last edited:
ba-10: So maybe it is the clutch slipping on the flywheel making the noise and then once it hits 2K+ the clutch grabs better. Either way you'll have to drop the tranny and remove the clutch to take a look at the flywheel.

you will also get access to the throwout/slave when you lower the /seperate the trans.

Back