• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beefy motor mounts from Ruff Stuff

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
All,
As i'm sure most of you know M.O.R.E. has the bombproof brackets and Barnett motorsports from T & J's has a decent set as well. They are both outrageous. M.O.R.E.’s set seem quite a bit nicer but they are priced the same. I was at Ruff Stuff the other day to pick up a diff cover and Dan said he hopes to have some beefy Cherokee motor mounts done soon. He hasn’t started yet but “hopes” to start soon. If you haven't seen his ranger mounts, check them out they are beefy and are only 80 bucks. He said he felt that was high so I’m hoping he’ll have the XJ mounts priced way better than the competition. I have bugged him twice now about some motor mounts for us as i'm not willing to spend what the competition is charging.

I encourage you all to check em out and bug him as well to get the ball rolling on a set for us. As with the nature of any product, the more request he sees the more proactive I’m sure he’ll be about it.

Click link to see the ranger mounts, they’re purty.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...th=48?osCsid=17c58d8c9e410065cdfddc3420a81c2e

With everything that goes into those ranger mounts, 80 bux doesn't look like it's too much!! Guy needs to make a little profit too!!

I have MORE mounts in one of my XJs, and although they're pricey, they're worth the money! I had rusty's poly mounts in my old MJ, and I didn't mind the fact that they were straight poly, but it got real loud in the cab....and I guess I'm not looking to do that with my other XJ. I just replaced one motor mount in my black XJ on 32s the other day with a stock one, but with a lifetime warranty!! The fan has cut into the shroud just a tad...lucky I caught it!! I would have replaced both, but money is tight, yada yada. I have been tossing around the idea of whether or not running one poly and one rubber mount might work....it could be a cheaper solution to the problem, or could just make for more problems?? What do you think??

One observation from doing the poly mounts, they stiffened up the whole front end a TON!! Just changing from stock worn out mounts to poly mounts made a huge difference in steering response. It was crazy!! Also increased throttle response too, since the motor/tranny/tcase couldn't move as much before the vehicle started to move. It was very noticeable on the street in 2wheel, and even more so in 4lo. I know a lot of people hate the poly mounts....it's not for your wifes vehicle, or something you drive little tikes around in I guess...but for trail only, no problem IMO. At the time it was my DD, and it didn't bother me all that much, although I coudln't hear the hos in the passenger seat on the highway.

I like the fact that you can replacing just the bushing in a rather easy way it looks like on the ranger ones.

With the M.O.R.E mounts (that I have and Love) it looks like I would have to buy the whole thing if the mounts decide to ever go. (cant remember what kind of warranty they have)

So your talking about the Motor Mount Bracket on the Block not the Actual mount that attaches the bracket via a bushing to the frame???

If it's the block side, I'd be interested (already have Brown Dogs frame side). The pic on his site looks like the frame side, I guess Rangers have the bushings on the block side of the mount?

However... the drop down menu on the item's page shows that while the mounts are $80, it's an additional $30 if you want them MIG welded or $70 if you want them TIG welded ($110-$150). While it's still a good price (Brown Dog's are $180-$235), it's not really fair to compare them to other brands at a claimed cost of only $80 when the others come welded, painted/coated, and include all the hardware.

If you need mounts now, go with BrownDog.

X2 I won a set of Brown Dog poly mounts at Winterfest this year and installed them, it is amazing the difference a good set of motor mounts makes. My old stock ones w/ 293K miles on them would let the motor move so much that it would tap on the bottom of the hood!! Plus the Brown Dog mounts are sexy yellow that looks oh-so-sweet next to my filty motor :D

Brown Dog also makes rubber bushings that you can swap in for the poly bushings if you want. I have their poly bushings in my 4-cyl MJ and they vibrate a lot. I just got the rubber bushings to replace at least one side with. I have the MORE mounts in my XJ and love them. Slightly more vibration than stock at first but it fades within a few months to almost no vibrations.

Back