• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 NP alternator not charging,,,thinking about installing delco from 90

jimsmith29841

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 xj that i am having electrical problems with,,code 41,,,,alternator will not charge,,,replaced it,,,,changed the computer and still nothing,,,this has also happened with my last xj..

I was thinking about putting a delco from a 90 on it...I have the brackets for it,,,,is it something i should do...or even can do?

thanks for any input....

I have a 93 xj that i am having electrical problems with,,code 41,,,,alternator will not charge,,,replaced it,,,,changed the computer and still nothing,,,this has also happened with my last xj..

I was thinking about putting a delco from a 90 on it...I have the brackets for it,,,,is it something i should do...or even can do?

thanks for any input....

As far as I know it should fit as long as its for the 4.0.

Answered your PM as well.

Simple way to go is to convert the Delco to a "one-wire," and cap off the field coil connections in the alternator subharness (something like Plasti-Dip over the lugs will usually do - do two or three dips to make a nice, thick coat. Tape will eventually fall off.) The "one-wire" conversion makes the regulator sense lead pick up its signal inside the alternator, and you only have to run one wire to the alternator proper.

The "one-wire" (or "self-exciting") modification to internally regulated Delcos - SI or CS series - is a common mod among hotrodders and kitbuilders looking to simplify their wiring.

Worked out great, found the brackets on ebay from a 1988...and got the one-wire alternator from quick start online....good guys and quick shipping....everything fit right into place....taped up the loose wires and charging like a champ.....

Next, would be great to find a way to fool the computer to get rid of the CEL. On the original wiring what and where do they go,,,,for instance I assume that the original black wire that attaches to the back of the original alt was the battery connection....but what about the other 4? If you guys are still looking at this thread,,,thanks for the input....

Back