• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pitman arm... forged or cast

dgrigorenko

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know if pitman arms are forged or cast? i am debating getting a large drop pitman arm, and making it double shear mounting the heim on top of the arm... i need to know if i can weld on that sucker.

G

well crap... any more input?

He wants to make a double shear mount with the heim on top, so he would need more drop then a typical one mounted on bottom.

yeah i dont think he saw that, but even with a 1" drop, mounting on top of the pitman arm and the top of the knuckle i am going to maintain my angles with the trackbar... basically i didnt want to bail on my somewhat new RE trackbar. hopefully this will do the trick. if not, some fabrication is in order

Googling pittman arms brought up some guys who make "unbreakable" ones for the TJ's. Don't have any idea if it would fit. It was machined out of bar stock. Didn't save the link. (sorry)

I have welded on mine, have seen others with welded double shear for heims too. I am 99% sure it is cast, but if you heat it, then weld it and then let it cool very slowly, I think you'll have success.

Hunter

I have welded on mine, have seen others with welded double shear for heims too. I am 99% sure it is cast, but if you heat it, then weld it and then let it cool very slowly, I think you'll have success.

Hunter

yeah i will just need to get some sand to bury it in or something afterwards. glad to hear of someone else that has done it...

just because it's cast doesn't mean you cant weld to it. casting is just the method in which it's fabricated. it says nothing about the kind of metal it is. pitman arms are cast steel, not cast iron... i wouldn't hesitate to weld to it and have seen many others do so.

just because it's cast doesn't mean you cant weld to it. casting is just the method in which it's fabricated. it says nothing about the kind of metal it is. pitman arms are cast steel, not cast iron... i wouldn't hesitate to weld to it and have seen many others do so.

it being cast does change the methods with which you can weld to it... different casting/forging/rolling processed metals require different preheat/post heat, as well as having differences in interpass temperatures.

all i wanted was to not severly comprimise the strength of my steering by making my pitman arm brittle and prone to cracking.

G

I might be wrong, but I just looked at a new one and it looks like it is forged. Its powder-coated so its hard to tell but normally if it was cast you would have the casting line and the ones I looked at have a ground forged looking line.

it being cast does change the methods with which you can weld to it... different casting/forging/rolling processed metals require different preheat/post heat, as well as having differences in interpass temperatures.

just because it's cast doesn't mean you cant weld to it.

Yes, but Anthony didn't say you should weld it the same way, he just said that you can still weld it. Didn't mention anything about the process of welding it, just that it can still be done.

I know he knows that there is a different method to welding to cast steel, as we welded the spacers on his WJ knuckles last week.

Yes, but Anthony didn't say you should weld it the same way, he just said that you can still weld it. Didn't mention anything about the process of welding it, just that it can still be done.

I know he knows that there is a different method to welding to cast steel, as we welded the spacers on his WJ knuckles last week.

U are right, he didnt, and i am by no means assaulting his comment or intellegence (sorry if it came off that way). i just needed to know the steps to take to maintain the integrity of the base material(cast/forged)

ZJ pitman arms provide a 1" drop over stock XJ pitman arms. Good cheap upgrade. Although usually the 1" and 1.5" aftermarket pitman arms are fairly cheap. It is the 3" ones that seem to be way overpriced considering the small difference in material between a 1.5" and a 3" drop.

Back