• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling engine have qestions.

livewire

NAXJA Forum User
When pulling a 4.0L motor should I undo the torque converter bolts before I pull the motor or can I do it out of the vehicle? I was not going to drop the transmission. I need to pull it to get to the freeze plugs near the fire wall.
thanks for any info. When I put it back together is it easier to have the converter on the engine or transmission.

I pulled the motor with the tq converter still attached, I thought it was easier to pull it that way in the few times I have done it.

However, when re-installing it I have found it to be easier to stick the TQ converter on the tranny first; then, after you have the motor seated on the locating pegs and bolted together, bolt the Converter up.

just my preference.

I'd remove the TC/flex plate bolts first. Seems like you could damage the seal between the TC and the tranny hsg. if you didn't. But it sounds like you could go either way, if wolfpackjeeper says he did it the other way. It is a little bit of a pain to rotate the flywheel around to get to all the bolts. If you pull the spark plugs first, it is easier.

In my experience it is better to leave the tq with the transmission in the vehicle.

I could never get all the bolts off with it all installed, twice I have removed engine/trans/TC all together.

i left the TC in the tranny when i did mine . they came off relatively easy . helps to have a friend spin the crank and hold while braking em loose .
try to power wash it before you pull it out . i didn't and missed 2 bolts that were covered in grease held the tin to the tranny, and gave me a lot of grief tell i found them .
good luck and have fun

with as many "cracked flexplate" problems I have heard of, I'd pull the TC before I pulled the engine. I would hate to see any more stress on the flexplate than necessary if it tends to crack in normal service.

Back