• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding a waterpump?

lilredwagn

NAXJA Forum User
My Hesco waterpump pooped out after 3 years (well, it started weeping after 3 years, but took another year to get bad enough for me to figure where the drips were coming from, so I guess you could call it 4). I'm going to replace it with one from NAPA, as in retrospect, I see it as a waste of money. However, seeing as that fancy little billet impeller had a $100 premium, I wouldn't mind keeping it as a spare instead of chucking it.

Has anyone ever seen a parts list or writeup for rebuilding a jeep waterpump? Or, alternatively, are there any shops that would do that sort of thing (and a good job of it) for under $50

edit: it's a '96 just in case someone actually has bearing/seal numbers

Last edited:
Update: Bennie says the "pump is not buildable"

Not sure how they get the impeller in there in the first place or how that squares with why stores want a core, but there you have it.

I think they only reuse the housing.

If it's built, it can be rebuilt. Problem is getting parts, equipment and skills to do it right. In this case, it's just cheaper to buy a "new" one.

S (stating the obvious again!)

3 years out of a special water pump. What a waste of money! Seems like there have been a lot of problems with deteriorating Hesco pumps from casting or electrolysis issues or whatever. Now, yours was leaking. Doesn't sound like a good "upgrade" to me! Seems like quality issues.

Back