• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mapping the Tabeguache

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
After finally running the full Kokopelli Trail last month, I decided I wanted to finish off the 'Grand Loop' trails. Today I tackled the second trail; the Tabeguache Trail. The Tabeguache (pronounced 'tab-a-watch') Trail is mountain bike trail that starts out near Montrose and ends up near Grand Junction. Like the Kokopelli Trail, it is made up mostly of 4-wheel drive roads with a few sections of single-track mixed in. However, unlike the Kokopelli, there is not a lot of information about the Tabeguache route available...especially for someone wanting to take a Jeep along as much of the route as possible.

I spent the last week and a half researching the trail and putting together my best guess at a track using a bunch of BLM and Forest Service maps along with Google Earth. While the track I ended up putting together was pretty close, I did run into some problems early on. I ran into some downed trees, an ATV only section of trail and a few locked gates at private property.

I left Montrose around 8am and got back home around 7:30, so I was on the trail for almost 12 hours. Including all of my backtracking, I ended up traveling just over 160 miles off the pavement.

I'll be putting together a much more detailed page about the Tabeguache Trail shortly (once I get the track I kept cleaned up) so I won't go into much detail about the actual route here. Since I was more concerned about not getting lost today I didn't end up taking too many photos, plus the skies were cloudy most of the day so I didn't get that many good pictures, either.

While I managed to nail down a pretty good 4x4 route on this first attempt, there are a few more routes I want to test out in the future to see if they might work better.....so this project is still a work in progress.

Anyway...enough talk, here's some pictures :)

Signs at the trailhead in Shavano Valley
IMG_6651.JPG

The trail was fairly well marked, but there were a number of broken and missing signs along the way, too
IMG_6653.JPG

Headed down to Dry Creek
IMG_6654.JPG

IMG_6657.JPG

My first wrong turn....my Jeep won't fit over that bridge ;)
IMG_6659.JPG

Dry Creek is not very dry
IMG_6663.JPG

IMG_6670.JPG

For the too lazy to search crowd, what are the start and end points?

My trip on the Tabeguache Trail yesterday ended when I reached Highway 141 in Whitewater, even though the actual trail continues on to Monument Road in Grand Junction. The reason for this is that there is no motorized access to the trail on the north side of the highway. However, the section on the other side can be driven, but only as an out and back ride from Little Park Road. Most know this section of trail as Bangs Canyon. I have driven part of this trail before, but not all of it.

Amanda and I set out this morning to take a short trip and drive more of the Bnags Canyon section of the Tabeguache Trail so I can add it to my full trail track. Here's a few photos from the short trip.

IMG_6783.JPG

IMG_6789.JPG

IMG_6791.JPG

IMG_6796.JPG

IMG_6800.JPG

IMG_6801.JPG

Back