• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 questions

Banshee_rider95

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98xj with a salvage title. So i bought everything for a 29 spline 8.25 rearend. Turns out it was swapped out with a 27spline. I have alloy axles, gears, and aussie locker for the 29spline. Can I keep the housing and just change everything over? Would i need a different carrier? And maybe bearings? Or would it be better to try and find a 29spline rearend?

im pretty sure all u will need is new seals and bearings ... everything else is taken care of by the locker and shafts

So. If i didnt have the money for the regear.. All I would have to do is replace the bearings/ seals and axles to 29spline. And put my locker in then i should be good to go right?

You may have to swap the carrier to a 29 spline open carrier. Im not quite sure it the 29 spline shafts fit into a 27 spline carrier. (the diameter of the shaft is larger)

may have to swap the carrier to a 29 spline open carrier...

If you bought 29 spline shafts you will have to swap carriers or the entire housing. It's not the diameter that will be the problem it is the spline count.

If you bought 29 spline shafts you will have to swap carriers or the entire housing. It's not the diameter that will be the problem it is the spline count.

First post sas he bought an aussie so that solves the 209spline issue.

Question remaining is will the larger shafts fit in the carrier that WAS 27spline

this is what you do, sell the locker to me! :p

Yes thats the question I cant get everyone to agree on... Will the 29spline work with my 27spline carrier? I know the splines will work because of the 29spline aussie.

Yes thats the question I cant get everyone to agree on... Will the 29spline work with my 27spline carrier? I know the splines will work because of the 29spline aussie.

No, the Aussie will only work in a 29 spline carrier. The 27 spline carrier's side openings will not accept the Aussie.

Thank You as long as everyone else agrees. Now I need to find a new rearend.....That kinda sux....

No you do not need a whole rear end, just a carrier! The housings are all the same whether its a 27 or 29. The carrier, side gears and shafts are the only thing different. You have all of that taken care of except the carrier.

Check the "for sale" forums on here and JF and you will find one with no problem.

Ive got a 29 spline carrier here I can ship you on your dime. PM me if your interested.

Swapping the carrier you will have to have a professional setup your gears again too..

No you'll need a carrier too.

Back