• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep throwing codes, won't stay running!

Sounds like you lost voltage to the map sensor.

Nick

my '94 xj 4.0L is throwing codes "13" and "14" which according to the site http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/obd-i/bl-dtcs-60a.htm it is the map sensor. i changed the map sensor and it didn't fix anything, also i put a new crank position sensor in just incase!

it starts and runs anywhere from 10-60 seconds then dies.

what should i check next?

also, the jeep is getting good fuel pressure to the fuel rail.

thanks!

OBDI and OBDII codes are not definitive. They are going to point you to a section where the computer says it isn't finding what it is programmed to find. Testing is still required.

i tried a new coil today, no change! next i will re-test the fuel pressure (acually get a gauge and do it the right way) and i'm sure a fuel filter wouldn't hurt. now it stays running but loses power when i try to pull out, stalls out on my fairly steep driveway. i'm wondering if its getting enough fuel to run but not enough to push it up a hill.

thanks for the help! i'm still open to any other ideas!

could be: fuel pump, fuel filter, idle solenoid.

could be the ecm itself. I know when mine went bad on my 98. The jeep would die every time after about 10-30 sec. After it died, my electric fan would turn on/off rapidly and a few other electronic quirks. If you can find an ecm to swap in to check that it would be good. Or find one at a junkyard to at least have as a spare.

hmm. well i work long days but i'm off friday and the weekend so i won't be able to check it out til thursday night and all weekend. thanks for the thoughts/keep 'em coming!

Mine just started doing this today and I'm thinking it's the pump or pcm(I have a spare). I already tried another coil and the cps ohms out good.

well, worked on it all day today and either got a long way or got nothing done at all! i got it running and drove it about 10 miles, it died twice but started right back up.

this morning i changed: plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor button...but that didn't fix it. after playing around in my yard i started noticing that it ran fine when it was pointed down hill. even when backing up a hill it had plenty of power to burn the tires or throw my head into the dash. i called a buddy and he said it sounded like i just had a short, so i went over all the wires i could fine, but didn't separate or unplug anything. basically just tried to make sure everything was plugged up good and snug. after i did that, the jeep started to drive up hill!

i don't know if its fixed or not, but its doing better.

went to start it a few minutes ago, its acting up again. anyone have any idea of where i should start looking for an electrical short?

Yeah........ good luck with that one!! I would check every connector and clean grease them! That would be a start.

I tried spare cps, coil, and pcm--didn't help. I unplugged and replugged all sensors and it's been fine for a couple days, but she still doesn't have my complete trust yet.

I tried spare cps, coil, and pcm--didn't help. I unplugged and replugged all sensors and it's been fine for a couple days, but she still doesn't have my complete trust yet.

Yeah........ good luck with that one!! I would check every connector and clean grease them! That would be a start.

done all that this morning, no progress, the jeep idles better if i create a vacuum leak by just unplugging any vacuum hose. but when a jeep is running normal and a vac. hose is unplugged doesn't it just cause it to idle high?

i'm starting to consider just taking it to a shop; i have a cousin that has a shop just a couple of miles from my house. i just hate being defeating! taking it to a shop is just accepting defeat. i guess it gets a lot of us sometimes..

i'll keep everyone updated though, i hate when people start a thread and get their problem fixed but never bother to let everyone know what the fix was. i'll give you guys an answer! :NAXJA: deserves closure!!!:soapbox:

Back