• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ E-brake

04jeepkj

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up an 89 XJ not too long ago, and now trying to get it inspected and all that good stuff to get it street legal. Here is the issue, the XJ has no emergency brake cables. . . The rear axle is a Ford 8.8 with disc brakes out of an 01 Exploder. Any ideas on where, what and or how i can get something to work just long enough to pass inspection or heck even a perminate fix? ?

I have the same problem I have a 90 xj with a dana 35 and discs off a 98 zj. If anyone knows how to fix this problem please help....

Search the 8.8 conversions. There is a thread which addresses this problem. As I recall it involves some cable clamps and extended cables like a YJ right sided cable X2.

I just put an 8.8 under my XJ. The stock XJ e-brake cable set up was just long enough so that I could loop the cable ends around the e-brake braket on the 8.8 and secure it with cable clamps. It helped (was necessary?) to loosen the XJ cable adjustment so the T-fitting was clear off of the single cable at the threaded rod under the outfit. After getting the cable wrapped and clamped, put the T-fitting back on and adjust.

for some reason or another the guy i got this XJ from did not have the stock cables, i got another set but i am not sure where it came from. So with the existing cable i have guess i will just have to rig something up to pass inspection. Its not going to be a daily driver and hopefully i won't be using the E-brake on the trails. . .

Back