• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worth it to remove ABS

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm debating throwing in a better axle than my D35 in my '98 XJ, however the ABS problem is kinda making me worry. I've heard it sucks, and I've heard it's good, and I'm not sure which to lean to. I'm on 32s with stock gearing, and don't wheel that hard because it is my DD. However I do want to regear sometime, and I keep hearing not to throw money at the D35. Thanks.

Reomove the large ABS fuse for the ABS and the small fuse for the abs light... Done!

I'm in the same boat. I live in a snow area and would like to keep the ABS for the winter commute. I would also like to start beefing the drivetrain and am considering a rear-end swap. Are any upgrades compatible with ABS?

My ABS worked well when I had it on my jeep. It doesn't cause problems offroad, my jeep would slide down a muddy hill like anything else, wheels locked up and all. However, I just couldn't see myself locking a D35 so I pitched it and went with an 8.8. The disc brakes are AWSOME and made the swap worth it 10x over.

My ABS needs on pavement went out the window with my Baja Claws as well. They were old, worn, and hard. New tires eliminated lock up problems on wet pavement.

FWIW I still have all my ABS pump etc etc under the hood. I just pulled the ABS relay and the light went off. I still have my front ABS wires as well, I can drop an RE 5.5 coil loose during flex and my ABS lines are still long enough, why didn't they do that with the brake lines :D.

My ABS worked well when I had it on my jeep. It doesn't cause problems offroad, my jeep would slide down a muddy hill like anything else, wheels locked up and all. However, I just couldn't see myself locking a D35 so I pitched it and went with an 8.8. The disc brakes are AWSOME and made the swap worth it 10x over.

Glad to hear. A good friend of mine wheels a 95 ZJ and he loves the disks. Hell that thing on 33's probably stops better than mine does on 235's!:clap: I'll be doing either a rear disk swap or an 8.8 swap to mine. Most likely the 8.8 so i can get 4.10's and LS and only re-gear the D30 or swap it for a D30 from a 4 banger.

Glad to hear. A good friend of mine wheels a 95 ZJ and he loves the disks. Hell that thing on 33's probably stops better than mine does on 235's!:clap: I'll be doing either a rear disk swap or an 8.8 swap to mine. Most likely the 8.8 so i can get 4.10's and LS and only re-gear the D30 or swap it for a D30 from a 4 banger.

The first time I put the brakes on with the 8.8(about 10ft out the garage) I was satisfied with the swap and I had gotten to test the locker or 4.56s yet :D. Its also nice to not have to clean and adjust drums. I didn't do anything to the prop valve other than remove the plunger(i think thats all its been awhile) and its very well balanced.

The first time I put the brakes on with the 8.8(about 10ft out the garage) I was satisfied with the swap and I had gotten to test the locker or 4.56s yet :D. Its also nice to not have to clean and adjust drums. I didn't do anything to the prop valve other than remove the plunger(i think thats all its been awhile) and its very well balanced.

Yeah i can't wait to get rid of my squeaky ass drums!

Back