• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vinyl hood kit and lebaron vent install

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
just wanted to show off my new vinyl hood kit from Achmed and lebaron hood vents:

cut outs and prep for vinyl hood kit:
3.jpg

one side installed with white vents (test fit), waiting to be painted:
2.jpg

final install after painted vents:
6-1.jpg

another shot:
7-1.jpg

Ya man i looks great and those tail lights are going to look great too!

looks cool, but what does the vinyl do?

Looks good.. I like to know how the vinyl hold up under the sun and the hot hood temps.

01 XJ, can't wait to get those tail light housings. Thanks for all of the comments guys. Hood kit was $65 and vents were $45 shipped so I have about $110 into it. Didn't really have a reason to go with vinyl except ease of install instead of prepping and painting and ease of reversal if I want to go back to all gray. Achmed, who sold me the kit said there is a 6 year guarantee on the vinyl against fading, shrinking, etc.

scottmcneal, here are some pics of the vette for ya:

5.jpg

4-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

1.jpg

looks cool, but what does the vinyl do?

From what Ive always read and understood, overlanding vehicles used the blackouts a lot to keep sunglare from the hood from bouncing into your eyes, and at night it keeps the glare from the roof mounted aux. lighting to a minimum. I think a lot of people dig it b/c it looks cool...which I agree. I did it on my old 4Runner (paint tho) and loved it.

wheelin2.jpg

2001XJ, love your Jeep man, looks great.

The Jeep looks good but it looks like an eyesore sitting near that Vette! Specs on the vette please! :D

From what Ive always read and understood, overlanding vehicles used the blackouts a lot to keep sunglare from the hood from bouncing into your eyes, and at night it keeps the glare from the roof mounted aux. lighting to a minimum. I think a lot of people dig it b/c it looks cool...which I agree. I did it on my old 4Runner (paint tho) and loved it.
2001XJ, love your Jeep man, looks great.

thanks, i was wondering if it helped absorb the heat so you can actualy lean on the hood or something :roll:

The Jeep looks good but it looks like an eyesore sitting near that Vette! Specs on the vette please! :D

Off the top of my head:

original 327 bored .40 over balanced and blueprinted with matching numbers
Keith Black connectors and piston rods
11:1 compression
420+ HP
3:73 gears
650 Holley Carb
MSD ignition
Front and rear Monoleaf suspension
17" front and 18" rear billet aluminum one piece custom rims
Hurst competition shifter
soon to be 5 speed Tremec Trans