• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stranded in Minnetrista, MN

Hi, all.
My Jeep (1995 Cherokee 4.0/auto) decided today as I was leaving a friend's house that it was going to only run for about 3 seconds before blowing the fuse marked "ECM 2" in the fuse block under the hood. I have checked the grounds under the hood and looked for any chaffed or pinched wires and found nothing. It was working perfectly yesterday and the only thing that has changed is the weather- it's cold and raining today. If anyone has a clue or if anyone is nearby and can lend a hand to help me get home it would be much appreciated.

Tristan
850-420-3706

Did you replace the fuse and try it?

Fuses will age and fail, typical man-made junk!

Code 12 is battery disconnect, Code 42 is ASD relay open-short, so try switching your relays around and replace the blown fuse and see if it will fire up.

ASD is the Automatic Shut Down Relay...it is one of the relays in the power distribution center ...the box under the hood with the fuses.

Last edited:
What's an "ASD"?

And yes, I tried replacing the fuse... gimme a little more credit than that.

No. This is a cash-only forum! :laugh2:

ASD relay should be in the PDC with the fuses (relays-black blocks that plug in)- check the lid/labels for a layout of which relay is which. There should be several relays there and should be another which is identical to the ASD with same numbers. pull the ASD out and its twin-swap them and plug back in. Test to see if still same problem/key codes?

Good Luck,
o

Here's the update:
It mostly stopped raining today, so I did some more troubleshooting. I checked out the O2 harness- visually it's fine. I ohm checked it with the key off and according to the diagram in the Haynes the black and tan wire should be the only ground- but three of the four wires are grounded. So, I started tracing the wiring and I pulled apart the plastic loom that follows the valve cover (injector/O2/TPS/IAC/CTS/CPS harness) and un-taped everything. Many of the wires were seemingly melted together, but none of them were buned through to the wire- the insulation was just stuck together. Pulled them apart and inspected everything but I found nothing wrong with that harness as far back as the main harness along the firewall. Then, I began messing with relays. I swapped the Fuel pump and ASD relays. It started and ran a little longer this time and blew the large 30 amp ECU fuse rather than the mini 20 amp ECU 2 fuse. So, I then swapped the Fuel pump relay (formerly the ASD relay) for the AC relay and stuck in another 30 amp fuse... Presto! So far so good- I made it back to my parents' place dragging a 2500lb 16' deep V boat in 3rd gear for 150 miles and half of the trip was in the rain... still going strong. I think I'll try and get a new relay before attempting to use the AC again!

Moneypit: I know exactly where you are as Im from Minnetonka. You must of been near/on Hwy 7. Good luck on your trip home. I hate having car "issues" when Im so far from my house.

Good News !!!

Thanks for update.

-Now get that bad relay OUT of there!!!!. (Save for parts hunt. But mark it so it never goes back in!)

-Make a few calls- new relays are $10 more or less and that is a common relay, dealer or most parts houses.

-The O2 sensor- Get a Scan at AZ or other parts place to see if it is a problem or cleared? (Should be free-just ask.)

Happy Journey!

Good Luck,
O

Last edited:
Moneypit: I know exactly where you are as Im from Minnetonka. You must of been near/on Hwy 7. Good luck on your trip home. I hate having car "issues" when Im so far from my house.

I was right off highway 110 and I think 151. It's really a nice area out there- if I ever had an urge to move back to the twin cities area I'd push to live there. I used to live about 2 blocks south of the metrodome... that sucked.

Good News !!!

Thanks for update.

-Now get that bad relay OUT of there!!!!. (Save for parts hunt. But mark it so it never goes back in!)

-Make a few calls- new relays are $10 more or less and that is a common relay, dealer or most parts houses.

-The O2 sensor- Get a Scan at AZ or other parts place to see if it is a problem or cleared? (Should be free-just ask.)

Happy Journey!

Good Luck,
O

I didn't need to buy a new relay, I just yanked the offending relay and replaced it with one of the non-used ABS relays since my ABS hasn't worked in years.

As far as the O2 sensor- what do you mean? The O2 sensor wasn't causing the problem and it only has a few thousand miles on it at best. It's not giving me a code, either.

Also, a couple of days ago the reman alternator gave up on charging. That didn't even have 500 miles on it, but since the warranty was up on it (the Jeep sat a LONG time) there goes another $175!

Thought you were having O2 circuit problems (post 8)? ?

A Scan would be a fast way to verify if there is (or is not) a problem with software, wiring, or O2 sensor. (+++ Just to double check ALL sensors, ckts, etc. are ok before a long trip !)

Regards and Safe Journey,
O

Back