• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Booster Help

here's a pic of my booster and master cylinder... maybe someone can help me from this. I didn't get much out of that article. I need a new booster and rebuilt master cylinder - not one from a junk yard... reason i wanted to know if that one will work from ebay....

Jeep516093.jpg

No. the parts are different.

You MIGHT make it work with a 91-94 MC and the Power Booster from eBay.

If you are going to do that the other upgrades would be better, IMHO, and others have already figured out the details.

No. the parts are different.

You MIGHT make it work with a 91-94 MC and the Power Booster from eBay.

If you are going to do that the other upgrades would be better, IMHO, and others have already figured out the details.
i'm not upgrading anything here, just my brake booster and master cylinder need replacing so my mechanic told me to get a "new" booster and a rebuilt master cylinder...

I see advertised that the master cylinders work thru 91 on some ebay auctions so how do I find out what years master cyl's and what years booster fit this truck? All these sellers when you contact them tell me to "do my homework" but I haven't a clue when they list them by several years and one has 87-89 and another one has 89-91 or 88-94 ect ect. They get really confusing and you email some seller and he actually doesn't know himself - he's worse than I am about the knowledge of his product...

Is there a place where you can actually know what years fit an 89? And where is the "cheapest" place to buy these. When you check parts places they display the master cylinder that looks completely different than mine or ebay sellers will display "fits wranger and cherokee and grand cherokee" models...

I'm lost out there with people who don't give straight answers...or someone who has the item for $300...and my budget can't stand that if you know what i mean - especially when you have to pay someone for install

I would recommend do an upgrade while you need to replace anyways. WJ booster and MC.

X2 on the WJ brake booster and master cylinder up grade. Paid 50.00 for mine

Nick
where did you get yours? i can't find boosters and master cylinders anywhere but ebay and these guys are ripoffs. My mechanic told me to get "new" or "rebuilt" so I dont' want used because i have no idea if they'll be in working condition or not...

where did you get yours? i can't find boosters and master cylinders anywhere but ebay and these guys are ripoffs. My mechanic told me to get "new" or "rebuilt" so I dont' want used because i have no idea if they'll be in working condition or not...

Local you-pull savage yard in cincy.

Nick

According to http://www.rockauto.com the booster you need fits 85-90 and the master cylinder fits 84-89. with a little work I believe that you can fit the 91-94, but if you are paying a mechanic to do it then all savings of buying one from e-bay would be lost.

Are you replacing it because of a hard pedal? I replaced mine thinking it was bad for that reason (even a mechanic confirmed it) and it turns out that it was just a crappy single diaphram booster that was working properly.

You can see my master cyl and booster in that pic at the top. Some I've seen are completely different styles - this one is bigger than most I've seen. checked with the mechanic and his prices to get the master cylinder and booster $475. I think i can find rebuilt master cyl and booster for much less...

also I need to find a Power Steering box for the truck also.

I was scouting auto parts places on line and for brakes I noticed that boosters only work for 88 and 89, and master cyl's 87, 88 and 89... on the 6-cyl engine 4.0. For the PS gear box i'm having a hard time finding the right one and year to fit also...

I was scouting auto parts places on line and for brakes I noticed that boosters only work for 88 and 89, and master cyl's 87, 88 and 89... on the 6-cyl engine 4.0.

What sites have you checked?

You can see my master cyl and booster in that pic at the top. Some I've seen are completely different styles - this one is bigger than most I've seen.

Looks like a typical single diaphram booster on a Renix.

For the PS gear box i'm having a hard time finding the right one and year to fit also...

For stock replacement you can use any XJ box 84-01.

What sites have you checked?
checked ebay, and looked at online parts places. My friend looked at Advanced where he lives back east - but we don't have those here in cali where I live... I couldn't find anything on autozone site that gave me much info....

Not familiar with renix, I'll need to try to find out about them, the site or where to locate that. Also I've looked on this site for people who may have them for sale - parting out, ect but didn't find anything... Plus I've looked on ebay and those sellers don't know that much. Emailed one guy and asked about his booster and he told me to "research" and find out if it fit or not. But his listing had several years. Another one had GM/AMC/Jeep listd for one of his items. I've heard that some of these parts on Jeeps in the earlier years were GM products but I'm not sure what year GM stopped supplying parts and it went to Chrysler...

Back