• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Shroud

Fastdemise

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a new 14" Maradyne 2500CFM e-fan in my Jeep and am in need of a fan shroud. I am using a combo of a lot of zip ties and 1/2 of the fan shroud from my old Flex a lite fan. It works but it doesn't do much for a stable mount. Makiong my own shroud sounds like something that would be a relativly simple do-it-yourself thing, but I don't know where to start. Any help in the matter is greatly appreciated.

Do you have access to some sheet metal, a bench vise, and a welder? It's a relatively basic fab project with some .050" sheet steel. Use some tin snips to trim the piece to width for the circular part that surrounds the fan, leave a 1/2" or so lip to bend over 90 degrees to weld to the flat sheet. Make the flat sheet big enough to pick up the attach points on the radiator flange, match-drill it so it bolts up in the stock locations. Cut your big circle in the flat sheet so it clears the outer edges of the fan by an inch or so all the way around. Bend your first piece in gradual increments so it matches the radius of the hole in the flat sheet, seld the edges together so it's like a really short tube. Snip and trim one edge so that you can bend about 10-12 1/2" wide or so flanges over to weld to the flat sheet. Radius your corners and remove the sharp edges with a file so you don't cut the snot out of your hands while working with it, weld it up, paint it, install it.

Or you can do a partial fab same as above but picking up part of the existing piece of shround you already have.

No welder, or vise. Got a hammer some pieces of wood and ahh....a lowes nearby. Guess that will have to do. Since I have no welder I guess I don't need to know what 'radius your corners' means.
Thanks for the reply and help.

"Radius the corners" is standard metal-fab stuff. Whatever you're building, don't leave right-angle or greater corners on it, unless it's a surface that sits at a right angle to another part. Stress tends to settle on sharp angles, leading to eventual cracks. By radiusing the corners, you allow the stress forces to pass through so that the part as a whole absorbs it rather than just the sharp corners. Look at most quality manufacturers parts, the corners will have generally a 1/16" to 1/8" radius on them instead of a right angle.

Oh, and take a bunch of measurements and start scouring the boneyards for a fan shroud that you can make work.

I had already grabbed a stock fan shroud to use but with how wide the e-fan is the fan shroud is 'too' thick. Thin sheet metal would leave me with enough space between the pulley and fan shroud. ....I guess I could also go the route of removing that pulley altogether. But doing something like that on a DD seems a bit extreme and removes and chance of is anything goes wrong going back to clutch fan.
Thanks for the clarification.

Back